O/T: Frosty White Ringneck Doves

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angoralover

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

As some of you know, I got a beautiful white dove recently. Wefound out about his breed...he is called a "Frosty White Ringneckdomestic dove." Yes i know, he has a quite long breed name! LOL Ihaven't found out about the gender of our dove yet...but we have heardour dove cooing a little...would that be a clue to what gender our birdis? Our dove's name is "Powder":)Bo B Bunny suggested thatname to me, so I just wanted to thank Bo B Bunny for suggesting thatname:DIt matches our bird perfectly!:)I just wantedto ask all the bird experts on the forum, if they know any informationon the breed of my dove. It would also be greatly appreciated ifsomeone could list some good toys and food that a dove eats. Right nowi'm feeding my dove millet branches, and dove seed. She also has abell, mirror and a nest hanging from her cage. If anyone knows anyother info that I should know...please let me know.

Thanks.

Cassandra

This is Powder:

Your dove is beautiful! My littleMatthew has been asking for a bird for a couple of years. Icringe at the thought of adding yet another creature to our household-- but maybe when his little hamster "goes to heaven", I will considera bird for him.

I'm not a bird expert, but I used to raise zebra finches.Their little eggs were so tiny! I also used to have chickens,parakeets, a Nanday Conure and a Cockatiel.

Pam

I do not know much about doves in particular but....

One very important thing.You must also feed your dove grit.Doves need it to properly digest their food because they donot hull seeds before eating them and cannot propertly digest seedswithout grit.

Also be sure to have a cuttlebone for calcium.

Sexing doves can be hard. Without DNA testing you can'treally know for sure but you can assume their sex bybehavior. Males will often do what is called a "bow coo" andbow their head up and down as they coo. This is one of thebest ways to determine if it is a male. Lone females will dothis too but rarely. If your bird does this it is most likelya male. Birds are hard though. I have a cockatielthat acts so much like a male but has female markings so therefor isfemale. I still consider him to be male and as you can seecall it "him" but I do know that he is actuallyfemale. (My poor bird lol)

Powder is a good unisex name though :)

Toys with bells are good. I'm not sure how playfull doves arebut I'm sure Powder will still enjoy it. You may want toremove the mirror for a little while though. Doves arenatrually tame but you still want to bond with the bird as much aspossible. Stupid as it sounds, if there is a mirror in thecage, most bird willthink it is another bird and will bond with theirreflection. A bird would much rather bond with anotherbird. If there is no other birds, the bird will want to bondwith something else (you). Birds crave attention andaffection and will easily bond with humans if there are no other birdsaround. Granted, they still will bond with you withother birds around but not as strong and not as fast. So,until Powder is completely tame you may want to take the mirror out.

Sorry this was so long. Have fun with your new birdy.

-Madelon

Wow Cassandra, Powder is beautiful, but you don'tneed me to tell you that. I would love to have a bird of any sort, buta Dove - thats special. I think if I got a bird my cats would thinkthat Christmas had come early :(. They are one type of pet that I havenever experienced. I will one day.

Vickie

Wow Cassandra, Powder is beautiful, but you don'tneed me to tell you that. I would love to have a bird of any sort, buta Dove - thats special. I think if I got a bird my cats would thinkthat Christmas had come early :(. They are one type of pet that I havenever experienced. I will one day.

Vickie

Iam so happy you chose that name! I really like it too!

If you feed oyster shell (you can get it wherever they have chickenfeed) it works for both calcium and "grit" for their gizzard.Casper never liked herbone.

If you have dove feed that's really allPowderneeds. Doves like seed like wild bird food. Theyaren't fond of fruits and things likeother birds.They are "groundfeeders"......

Casper LOVES and I mean LOVES her bells, and her swing! Ohand her mirrors! Any typical parakeet toys and a nicecockatiel swingor toys are fine.

Here's a link to info about feeding:http://www.dovepage.com/keeping/food.html

Casper in her "nest"

Aww..thanksfor all thecompliments on Powder:)I really love my dovitydove:p:DLOL I have been calling her Powder the Dovity Dove all day LOLhahah. Thanks for the the infoeveryone:)...if anybody elsehas any info to share thats on the forum...I'll greatly appreciateit:D

Pamnock- Wow it sure sounds like you would be a bird expertwith all the types of birds you raised:shock:Now lets notHOPE Matthew's hamster will go to heaven! LOL The time will come...oryou could just consider a bird for him now;)But I sure knowwhat you mean with all the pets, its hard work to take care of themall. Thanks for the compliment on Powder:)

Babydoshia- Thanks for all the info:DThat reallyhelped! I'll make sure I'll go out and buy some grit and a cuttlebone.I never knew Doves were such delicate eaters.And don't worry,I LOVE long posts:)They keep me busy reading and finding outmore important info:)

DaisyNBuster- I'm sure you'll experiece having a pet birdsooner later. I recommend you getting a dove as your firstbird:)I find them being the most gentle and friendly types ofbirds. I think having a dove is special too:)Since they are asymbol of peace...especially the white doves (just like myPowder!:D)

Bo B Bunny- I'll make sure to buy some Oyster Shell...seemslike good, yummy stuff for doves:pLOL I also have some wild birdseed...so I'll just mix up a bit of it inthe dove seed.Thanks for the site also...and again...your dove is justbeautiful!:)I just love the way they get all "puffed"out:DIts soo cute!

Cassandra

I love birds! Have you heard of Avian Biotech? You can have them DNA sex the bird by plucking a couple of feathers.

Take care,

Megan

Latest posts

Back