Nylabone safe?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarissaB

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
I was recently at the pet store getting some toys for my dog, and noticed that they have these Nylabone healthy edibles vegetable bones. I saw in another post that owners give these to their rabbits. Before I picked any up I wanted to make sure that they were safe. My rabbit, Lily, has a ton to chew on, but always looking for more options. Here are the ingredients:

Wheat Starch, Glycerin, Cellulose, Lecithin, Potato Starch, Carrot, Peas, Spinach, Celery, Tomato, Natural Flavor, Oat Fiber, Calcium Carbonate, Soy Flour, Rosemary Oil. Vitamins: Thiamin, Riboflavin, Pantothenic Acid, Vitamin B-6, Folic Acid, Vitamin A, Vitamin E, Biotin, Choline, Inosital, and PABA. Minerals: Calcium Carbonate, Ferrous Carbonate, Magnesium Oxide, Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Chloride, Zinc Oxide, Copper Oxide, Manganese Oxide and Sodium Molybdate

Guaranteed Analysis

Min. Crude Protein 1%
Min. Crude Fat 0.5%
Max. Crude Fiber 8%
Max. Moisture 15%

hmmmm.....i have no idea so i'll have to keep an eye on this thread to see if someone else knows.....i'm always looking for new things for my "happy chewer" to chew.

Umm...I think I would pass on those treats. Looks like mostly preservatives and very little "good stuff". The best thing to chew on is unlimited amounts of hay. Treats, pumice blocks and wood blocks are no match for the very hard teeth. While marketed as "keeping the teeth worn down"....the only benefit from these items are for the people that make and sell these things. While they may offer limited play opportunity, they have no health benefits from chewing and with all the junk in them pose a very real possibility of digestive system concerns. Free choice grass hays of various types and cuts would be a much healthier and beneficial product to offer. Unlimited hay is vital to a happy digestive system and is the primary way to keep the teeth down. It's not how hard something is....it's how chewy it is and hay certainly is chewy. I suggest offering high quality hay in lieu of any "treat".

Randy

Back