Nutered?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aina

Reaction score
Ok, so in june I got Ronnie nutered. When I did the vet said something about him having very small nads, but then after the sugery he didn't say anything so I guessed that he was able to get both of them. Anyways, things have gone ok, but lately Ronnie has started to act like he did before he was nutered. He has sprayed Skye at least once, and humps her a lot.I don't see anything down there but is it possible the vet didn't get all of both of them and he is still fertile? If not, how can I get him to stop. He is also marking his territory with poop a lot and still not completely litter trained.

I have one guy who was neutered in July who still exhibits 'manly' traits. mHe still sprays, marks, poos and all that, except humping.

I think for some particularly male men, they keep their learned behaviour.

Has anything changed in his world recently? Like a new addition to the house? Or changing his cage around?

Hi,

Some male rabbits just have that behavior in them even if they are neutered. We do have one of those. We have also noticed the older they are when neutered, the more likely they are to show these traits later down the road.

However, we also know of some cases in which there was a third testicle that did not descend. This particular rabbit was at another rescue at that time. They couldn't figure out why every female that was placed with this rabbit became pregnant. The first time or two, the rescue assumed the does came in that way but after the third time...they felt like something was up. And it was. Their vet indicated it was the first time he had ever seen that....so the neutered boy got spayed to as the surgery was almost identical to a spay.

We also know of some male rabbits that exhibited this behavior even after all the male parts were removed. The research vets working this problem don't know exactly what is happening hormonally (or they didn't the last time I talked to them) but were using a drug called Lupron to suppress the male issues. That is a very nasty drug used to fight endometriosis and early puberty in human females and in some prostate issues for human males. I have seen the side effects of that drug ona human female. I think I would rather deal with a "boy bunny" rather than risk the side effects of this drug. And maybe over time, as some of ours have done, things will calm down.

Randy

Thanks for the advice everyone :)
I think I will call the vet after the holiday season to make sure he is all the was nutered.

Fergy came about a month ago, so that may be it. He was doing it a bit before, but it has escelated since he has come.

I know I will not put him on my drugs unless he is sick. I'd rather have a manly rabbit.

Actually, soon after I posted this I let them out and Ronnie was being perfect, go figure. :rollseyes

Ok, second question. Do I need to create a place for Skye to go if she has had enough? If so, how would I do that?

If Skye and Ronnie are bonded, then it's worthwhile having somewhere for both parties to cool off and get away if necessary.

You could have boxes that only fit one rabbit, or different levels in your cage or different compartments for space, anything like that.

Latest posts

Back