Now thinking 'bout Hollands

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akkatia

Reaction score
As some of you might know, I was thinking about getting Tans. Well, I did some research, and I'm kind of thinking that I don't want to start with that breed. (Although I still must admit they are beautiful rabbits) Now, I just ordered the new Standard of Perfection and got it in the mail the other day, and I'm thinking about starting Hollands. I've owned a couple Hollands a long time ago, but never bred them. I was really wanting broken Hollands, because I think that they are so sweet! So can you guys give me some basics on Hollands? (etc... temperment, markets, special needs...) I know I don't think I'll have a problem in the market area as I can probably sell them to the pet shop and as breeding stock very easily. My motto forrabbits is 'if they don't start paying for themselves, they're not really good for me.'

Thanks!

--Kiya--

We've been breeding Hollands for over 16 years. They are a difficult breed to start with because good breeding stock is so expensive and because the breed is so competitive.

Hollands do have decent temperments and do sell well.

You'll need solids to breed to your brokens. Broken to broken will produce some charlies.

Pam

hollands are a fun breed, but very hard. . . my best advice:

*start with torts. . .your basic black tort. . .i know that might seem like no fun with all the colors, but TYPE is so much more important. . .and when you are new to breeding then you have to learn about type. . .black tort holland lops are the most common color, therefore you can find nice stock with a reasonable price. i jumped in with tri very quickly and spent so much time trying to even place a rabbit at a showfor a while.

*go to as many shows as you can before getting stock, talk to breeders, ask them questions, watch the judgings. . .most breeders have no problem helping out new people with a breed. . .get to know the lines in your area and what lines everyone is talking about (up here people seemed to drool over campo stock. . .) the reason why some breeders lines get attention is normally because they are good producing lines

*get a trio at least of adult stock. . .you know what they will look like as adults. . .the fluffy babies will be cute, but by getting adult stock you know what they look like and how they show. . .plus proven breeders are always nice. . .

they are a fun breed, i loved having them. . .very cuddly. . .very cute. . .i had a hard time keeping them from selling at birth. . .my pet waiting list for them up here was a mile long. . . i don't think i ever had a holland lop (baby or adult) that i couldn't sell as a pet rabbit. . .

Wow, sounds like marketing will be really easy!:)

I forgot to mention that I actually didstartwithtwo Hollands that I bought as juniors, going on seniors, and they were in the self group as blacks. Do you think I could start with two, (buck and doe) one broken and the other black tort and breed them that way, or something like that? Would that be okay?..Also, whats a "charlie?"

Akkatia wrote:
Wow, sounds like marketing will be really easy!:)

I forgot to mention that I actually didstartwithtwo Hollands that I bought as juniors, going on seniors, and they were in the self group as blacks. Do you think I could start with two, (buck and doe) one broken and the other black tort and breed them that way, or something like that? Would that be okay?..Also, whats a "charlie?"

The broken to tort is fine (as long as the broken isn't an otter, which could produce non-showable tort otters when bred to the tort). "Charlie" refers to a lightly marked rabbit that often has 2 broken genes (homozygous) -- those are often not showable.

Holland Lops are shown in only 2 groups: broken or solid

Pam

Okay. The breeder that I usually buy Dutch off of raises Hollands, too, so I'm sooo lucky! He's usually really nice, and can explain things to me. So I think I'll get a broken tort and a solid tort. Sounds good to me! Thank you guys!

--Kiya--

Latest posts

Back