Now I am worried about Kirby :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirbyultra

Reaction score
Last night I gave Kirby about 3 pieces of dandelion greens to try. Each piece was only about 4-5 inches long, just to see if he'd like it. This morning I found 2 elongated poops and 1 poop that looked really lumpy and is very sticky. I poked at it to see it clearer and it split into two. I have 2 pix of it below... most of his poops were normal size and shape and they were dry. Just this 1 very big lump of poop was deformed.

If it is just the dandelions, then I am ecstatic. I will just take them out of his salads. What I am really afraid of is Kirby might have gotten Toby's coccidia somehow. :nerves1I don't know how though, they haven't been together at all, just in neighrboring pens. Unless Toby flung some poop over and Kirby ate it, which I kind of doubt. Toby's never flung poop that far before. The most I've seen is accidental poops from when he jumps out of his litter box and the dont' go that far because Toby's box is far away from Kirby's pen.

P1030125.jpg

P1030129.jpg

The 2 clump of poop that areshiny and stickywere 1 clump originally. It's really scary because when I got Toby from the petstore his poop looked exactly like that and it was stuck to his fur.Do you think I should be concerned? I am definitely removing the greens to see if his poop improves tonight. Not sure if I should start Kirby on Albon too (that is going to be such an ordeal).

Looks pretty normal to me, just a bun who ate some dandelion and it caused a few excess cecals. Dandelion can be tricky like that, might take some getting used to. And it can't be fed to them when it's at all wilted and maybe even not wet. It's a fussy little plant.

sas :)

Oh whew. Thank you so much, Pipp!

I didn't have the dandelion in Kirby's morning salad. I hope to see perfect round poops when I come home from work. Maybe I'll take it a little slower and give him just one piece per feeding and see how he takes it.

Good plan. Dandelion is still a very nutritious plant, I think it's just higher in carbs and maybe protein (and oxlates) than most (which accounts for a few excess cecals) but it's actually therapeutic.

Here are a few quotes:

"The plant has both laxative and astringent qualities and regulates constipation and diarrhea."

"Dandelion is good for many things in people and can be used for rabbits with these problems also: preventing osteoporosis (for the old bunny), bladder infections, lactating, liver problems, swelling, tonsillitis, warts, and pneumonia."

(Not sure about the tonsils part!)

sas :biggrin2:

I think also dandelion can be bad in the spring, since the leaves are younger and contain more carbs than leaves during the height of summer, just like spring grass can cause problems with high carbs. I agree that they look like cecals, and there's nothing to worry about at the moment. Of course, don't let them share common spaces or come into contact, but I'm sure you knew that already.

I saw dandelion greens at my fave produce store but they always looked a little limp so I decided not to get them there. I have been scouring supermarkets all over for some fresh parsley and I've not been able to find any at the usual spots (very strange!) so I finally sucked it up and went to Whole Foods. I got a beautiful bunch for $1.49 and Kirby is happy. I got the dandelion greens from Whole Foods too and they looked beautiful to me. No wilted leaves, not limp, very crisp when I broke the stems into smaller pieces. To be honest I don't think Kirby ate all the pieces I gave him. I think I found one or two pieces leftover that he didn't care to eat. Kirby may not be taking well to it because of the carbs as you say. Maybe smaller piece to start him on...

Checked the box! No sticky lumpy poops (possible cecals as Claire and sas have mentioned). But then again I suppose cecals only come at night/early morning. I'll check again in the morning.

I feed my guys the dandelions from Whole Foods. I aim towards feeding them every week, but some weeks the bunches look wilted, or too small for the price, or otherwise unpleasant, so they'll go a week or two without. When I started feeding them, Whole Foods carried a different type. They had a purplish stem, and were labeled "red dandelion." I think I looked this up and found they were actually chicory? (Also safe, I believe.) Now, my store has a variety that is green throughout.

The dandelion is Amelia's favorite. (Nick prefers cilantro.) I think I feed about 8 whole leaves per day for those two, 4 leaves for Tobi.

It may be that Kirby needs a more gradual introduction? When I introduce a new food, or one they've had but not frequently, I just give them small amounts.

I gave Kirby 1 little piece yesterday (5-6 inches long leaf) and I found 1 extra cecal this morning...

Latest posts

Back