'Nother Fish Question

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylova4eva

Reaction score
So I got a male butterfly molly about a week ago. Today its been shaking alot. I really about 'shimmying' Is that what it is, and if so, should I be adding something to the water?

Thanks,

~Mia

The water was in there almost a week before I got and put him a week later (1 week ago.). Basically the waters 2 wks old.

Tested the water and the PH is fine.(7.6) and I did neutralize the clorine. The only thing that came up off when they {the pet store} checked it was the salt level was up. So I"m changing 20%...

99.9% of the time a fish is acting weird its a water quality issue. Do you have test kits to test for ammonia and nitrite? Those are the 2 things in your water you should worry about. Both tests should test 0 at all times.

Leaving the water for a week before adding fish did nothing unless you were fishless cycling it during that time. I'm assuming you didn't do that and since your fish have been in the tank for a week now that your tank is starting to go through the nitrogen cycle.

How many fish did you add? What size tank? Have you been doing water changes during this start up phase?

I would recommend buying an ammonia and nitrite test kits. Testing the water daily and doing water changes as needed. That could mean daily or even twice daily water changes, depending on what your test kit readings are. The nitrogen cycle can take 4-6 weeks and this time is very dangerous for your fish as the water has high levels of ammonia and nitrite. So do your best to keep the water levels down and hope your fish make it through. Don't add any more until your levels settle down and stabilize.

degrassi wrote:
99.9% of the time a fish is acting weird its a water quality issue. Do you have test kits to test for ammonia and nitrite? Those are the 2 things in your water you should worry about. Both tests should test 0 at all times.

Leaving the water for a week before adding fish did nothing unless you were fishless cycling it during that time. I'm assuming you didn't do that and since your fish have been in the tank for a week now that your tank is starting to go through the nitrogen cycle.

How many fish did you add? What size tank? Have you been doing water changes during this start up phase?

I would recommend buying an ammonia and nitrite test kits. Testing the water daily and doing water changes as needed. That could mean daily or even twice daily water changes, depending on what your test kit readings are. The nitrogen cycle can take 4-6 weeks and this time is very dangerous for your fish as the water has high levels of ammonia and nitrite. So do your best to keep the water levels down and hope your fish make it through. Don't add any more until your levels settle down and stabilize.

Lets see if I can clarify this a bit. lol I was in a hurry typing before and did not get all the details in.

So,

Tank size: 10 gallon

How many fish originally: None, 2 wks ago when I set it up.

First fish: 1 week ago - 1 MaleButterfly Molly

Testing water: Yesterday I took water in and they tested it for me. All looked good except salinity. They said that was from using 'softened'. I changed 20% today with non-softened and took more for a water test. They said all looked fine now, and I could go ahead and add one more fish.

Second fish: Today after the water test I got one Male Dalmation Molly

The original fish {now named Pinapple} has seemed to settle down *alot* since I changed some water and also seems alot calmer with another fish now :biggrin:

I haven't gotten a test kit/test strips yet as they do free water tests there for you. I'm going to get some though next time I head in there as I have a coupon for several dollars off to use anyway. Yay! :)

Hey, do male mollies normally fight with each other?

I bought a second molly yesterday, as recomended that I don't get males and females so they don't breed. Now, the newer molly is chasing the older one EVERYWHERE and won't leave it alone. They just told me at the pet store to get either all males or all females.
Should I complain to the pet store?

Pet stores aren't the best place to get fish advice. With only 2 fish they are likely to chase each other, if it was a male/female it would be even worse.

Since you can't add anymore fish right now I suggest adding some decoration or plants to break up the line of sight. Give lots of hiding places and hope they settle down.

I just bought 5 swordtails(2m/3f) and experienced something similar as they are in a 20g right now for quarantine. The males were chasing the females non stop. I added a bunch of plants, and a couple floating plants too. Also a couple pieces of tall driftwood. It broke up the line of sight and gave the females some places to hide and rest.

If the nipping gets really bad you can always put in a mesh-plastic divider.. I had to do that since I had a tank with a betta and other community fish, and he was kept in the slower current far end with the others (tetras and loaches and cories) in the larger faster current part.

LaylaLop wrote:
If the nipping gets really bad you can always put in a mesh-plastic divider.. I had to do that since I had a tank with a betta and other community fish, and he was kept in the slower current far end with the others (tetras and loaches and cories) in the larger faster current part.
I was considering doing that actually, I didn't know where to get the divider though. I ended up calling and going there, so they swapt out that fish for a new {much more gentle} Molly. Its a black molly and then I got a gold dust molly as well. So the three so far all seem to get along fine. :)

Latest posts

Back