Not sure what is wrong

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeepSeaGoddess

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice but one of my bunnies, this morning won't eat. I give them fresh veggies every morning and this morning, he won't eat them. He also won't eat his favorite treats or any bananas (which he usually loves). There is evidence that he ate some pellets and hay over night and drank some water. He also pooped overnight but, he normally eats right away when I give them veggies in the morning. He will hop around some but mostly just wants to lay in the corner. I'm not sure whether I should call the vet now or wait a while and see how he is.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

There could be several reasons why he is not acting right.

Does he have any other differences in behaviour?

Has he eaten anything new/different recently or has anything changed in his life/diet?

Potentially gas is an option, and there is a link in the library about how to deal with gas if it is gas.

It could be that his teeth are cuasing him problems.

To be honest though, if you are not sure what has caused it then I would always suggest a vet, and sooner rather than later, because, as I'm sure you know, they can go hard and fast.

My first line of defense is to give some baby simethicone and tummy rubs. If it's gas the simethicone should clear up the problem pretty quickly. If that doesn't help, then a vet visit is in order.

One of the infirmary mods should be along soon with more advise.

He is acting almost like he is scared of something. He's in the room with another bunny but they are separated. They've been in there for several months while waiting for the other one to be spayed. It has been 6+ weeks since she has been spayed so, we've been bonding them again...we started last week. Last night they spent an hour together and it's going pretty well. I don't think that is it. It is more like he seems very scared and wants to hide which makes me think something is wrong. I think I will go ahead and call the vet and take him in if necessary.

I did give them both a lot of treats yesterday...probably too many. They are yogurt treats. Probably too many....could that maybe have caused his stomach to be upset or caused gas? She is fine.

Buns have different tolerances of new food or more food than normal, so yes, that is very much a potential cause for this.

It sounds like gas to me, also. Is he pressing his tummy down onto the floor? I'd try gas treatments first, and if you don't see improvement take him to the vet tomorrow.

A VERY special thanks to slavetobunny! I believe it was a gas/upset tummy problem. Gave him some simethicone about 20 minutes ago. He is now starting to eat some. He ate a few bites of his veggies!!

Thanks so much you guys...I've only had bunnies for about 3 months now and this forum and you guys are THE BEST!

slavetoabunny wrote:
My first line of defense is to give some baby simethicone and tummy rubs. If it's gas the simethicone should clear up the problem pretty quickly. If that doesn't help, then a vet visit is in order.

One of the infirmary mods should be along soon with more advise.

I think that I am starting to believe that simethicone has decreased my vet bills by a few thousand $
it always seems to work

So glad that it helped; you can repeat it again in an hr or so and I would also hold off the greens and treats for a day

Don't give too many treats; it only ends with you being anxious and the bun not feeling well :)

I'm so glad to hear your bunny is ok and recovering, but don't give yogart. It causes upset to the digestive tract, interupts the good bacteria that are normally present.

If you suspect gas, treat with baby simethicone firstlyand see how it goes.

Thank goodness everything is ok! Yay, give the bunner a hug from me!;)

Yogurt treats are ok in moderation, but AngelnSnuffy is right--they contain different bacteria than are typically found in the digestive tract and high amounts of sugar, which can cause GI slowdown. My guys love them to death, but they only get one a day at the very most, and never more than 3 days in a row. Glad the simethicone fixed the problem!

Yep, I have learned my lesson about giving them too many treats!!! Only 1 yogurt treat a day now and I will take your advice of not *every* day. He's doing wonderfully now AND the two have bonded finally! They have spent 2 nights together now and are getting along well!

This was just so helpful to me though that you guys were here and responded so quickly!

Thanks again!

I'm so happy to hear he's doing better!

I found that my bunnies can't tolerate much sweet stuff at all. Or I should say BO can't. He gets a craisen now and then or a tiny piece of banana - but that's it. He doesn't even like most stuff - strawberries are EVIL!

Back