Not sure if this warrants a vet visit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gumby

Reaction score
Obviously, being not sure should usually mean yes... but in this case, I *think* he may just need to be dewormed...

Gumby came to us from a parking lot - he was found running loose, my suspicions were later confirmed, and he was dumped off by someone.

Ever since we've had him, he hasn't gained much if any weight. He eats like a hog, but doesn't put on any weight and I can feel his spine and I don't like it. I want him to be a healthy pudgy bunny.

His eyes are clear, there is no discharge from his eyes or nose. Hes feces are normal, and he urinates as he should. He is active, and enjoys running and hopping around.

Is it possible that he could have worms? If so, how do I treat them?

Also - if anyone could point me to some high fat, yet still healthy foods (vegetable and pellet alike) then I'd be very greatful!

you would treat him with fenbendazole for 5 days if you choose to go ahead and treat for worms

In the US fenbendazole is sold in feed/farm stores for farm animals. It can be purchased in aliquid for goats which is probably the smallest size that you can buy . It is called Safe- guard

this drug dose calculator allows you tp put in your rabbits weight and calculate the dosage.; fenbendazole can be found under antiparasitics.

http://homepage.mac.com/mattocks/morfz/rx/drugcalc.html

Ideally you will take him to the vet and get a professional opinion (we are not vets)

but I have given you this info if you choose to treat yourself.

Hmm I think it might be hard to find deworming products in Montreal, without buying it at the vet's. Not 100% sure though. I never knew where to look... (I'm originally from Montreal) I do think I have heard of Safe Guard though so maybe you can find it.

If you don't know it, there is a good website where you can buy some items. They have Oxbow pellets and those come highly recommended. It's hard to find good quality in Montreal...

Http://www.montrealcritters.com

You might want to take him to the vet's anyway though as I am sure there can be another reason to him not putting on weight. How long have you had him? Rabbits are not generally dewormed in Montreal. Vet told me it was not often that they had rabbits with worms. Not sure though how much that is true. I can imagine a bunny that's been out there could have them. :)I hope your bunny gets better soon :pray:

Latest posts

Back