Not feeling well :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamela227

Reaction score
Oreo stopped eating again :( I called the vet& he told me to syringe feed her a mixture of her pellets ground up& pineapple juice.. well that didn't go so well. :( My mom & ihave been trying since i got home from work at 4:30 to do that &she just will not cooperate. we've tried to burrito her up so i couldfeed her but she just keeps squirming away..now she won't even let menear her to just pet her. :( i'm really worried about her & i can'tget her to eat anything & can't get her to cooperate to force feedher :(
Mom is calling the vet first thing tomorrow morning (he said to bringher in if she didn't get better with the mixture) to make anappointment for her. I feel awful because tomorrow is her birthday& i have to take her to the vet.. some birthday present :?
My stomach feels awful cause im so worried :(
~pam

Oh Pamela227,

I'm so sorry this is happening.

Do you have any NutriCal? If not, pick some up for times like this whenshe goes off her feed. It can boost their immune system, give themnutrients they need, and stimulate their appetite.

Don't know if she's drinking but make sure she stays hydrated, no matter how much she hesitates. Water is the most important.

Keep us posted. You and Oreo in my thoughts and prayers.

-Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn, I did buy some Nutrical a fewmonths ago when she had a hairball but i searched through the wholehouse & couldn't find it :? ..no idea what happened to it.
She is drinking her water..a very little bit, but still drinking.
~pam

Pamela227,

It's okay. Just pick up some NutriCal tomorrow and when you open it,refrigerate it afterwards. I think they recommend you refrigerate it.

If I were you, I'd just sit with her and pet her and try to make her ascomfortable as you can. Offer her anything you can that she may eat. Ifshe doesn't take it, just let her settle down. She'll get what sheneeds tomorrow.

I'm glad to hear she's drinking.

:)

I'll be thinking and praying for Oreo.

-Carolyn

Hello Pam,

doesyour bunnies belly feel hard and round? Could be Furblock. Try feeding the rabbit lots of Grasshay and rolled Oats. Be sureshe is drinking. If she is not you must take a needless syringe andforce feed water. Dehydration will kill the rabbit quicker than lack offeed. I would not give too much of any kind of fruit juice. The sugarswill only add to the problem. Try abit of whatever your rabbitsfavorite treat is, but not too much as you want to first get thehindgut moving again. As always JMPO. I hope this helps. Best of luck.

Dennis,C.V.R.

Pamela 227, do you have any baby food in thehouse? You can syringe feed baby carrots, spinach,green peas and fruits. In my experience, my rabbit did notenjoy the syringe feeding either but once he got a taste of what wasbeing put in he relaxed some. I also would try the pineapplejuice by itself without the ground up pellets. When I triedthat mixture it was thick and would not syringe well. Atleast with the pineapple juice you are getting some moisture in alongwith the enzymes. The burrito method does take some time toget the hang of it. I had the same situation going on acouple of months back and I know that this is very scary toyou. I hope this information helps in some way. Iknow how helplessI felt. Beckie

Oh my how scarry! I can give you nowords of advice, but you and Oreo will be in my thoughtstoday! I hope all goes well and that your sweet baby feelsbetter soon. I can't imagine the worry! Give Oreo ahug and kiss for me, Emmit, and Amelia!

-Carrie

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I've beenupstairs with her just talking to her & petting her (when she letsme that is) & telling her that she'll be ok..
We don't have any baby food in the house, but I've tried getting her toeat her favorite treats (ranging from hay, oats, blueberries, &fresh pineapple chunks, yogurt drops..etc) but she just doesnt wantanything :? I tried putting the pineapple juice by itself in thesyringe but she didn't like that either.
She is drinking water on her own though, which makes me feel a little bit better knowing that shes getting some fluids in her.
Her belly is kinda bloated & round.. I'm guessing she's got somekind of blockage, not sure though. Will have to wait til tomorrow whenshe goes to the vet.. its just the waiting that's killing me :? i'm offto try & get some sleep, i will let everyone know what happenstomorrow when i get home from work.
Thanks for all your thoughts & prayers, oreo thanks you too!
~pam

Oreo went to the vet today, they took an xray ofher belly, she had not 1 but 2 blockages:? The doc gave her a fluidshot & force fed her food & some hairball stuff & she got abath too (had stuff stuck to her butt) & her nails cut.
Other then her hair being all messed up from the bath lol she seems tobe doing better, she is eating a little bit of her timothy hay &drinking water. Today is her birthday, i feel so bad :( some birthdaypresent! We will have to wait & celebrate it when she feels better!
Just wanted to let everyone know that shes ok & thank you for your kind words & support :)
~pam

So glad the vet helped her!

Thanks for the update, Pamela227.

Every day is her birthday with a mom like you. Don't let the date on the calendar bother you. She's blessed to have you.

-Carolyn

Hi Pam,

Glad to hear that you were able to get her right into the vet and hopefully she'll be fine. Poor Birthday Girl : (

Pam

I'm so glad that she's doing better and that yougot her to the vet ASAP. Before coming to these boards, I had no ideahow sensitive a rabbit was. Now I keep a very close eye on mybuns....just in case.

I might have to call the vet again tomorrow.. itseems like shes having trouble walking.. shes almost stumbling :? notsure if thats just from the shots that she got if shes sore or ifsomething else is wrong *sigh*
I gave her the hairball medicine & she didn't bolt away like sheusually does so thats got me worried :? guess i'll have to wait untiltomorrow morning & see how shes doing.
She did eat a few pieces of hay & drank a little this afternoon.
~pam

I was so glad to read that it looked like Oreowas getting better and then I got to the end and feel unhappy for youall over again. I hope there's some harmless explanation for hersymptoms right now, and that the vet visit helps. Am thinking of youand sending prayers her way.

Latest posts

Back