Not feeling well after aborting litter

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnymom,K

Reaction score
Our english angora, Fey Runa aborted her litter two days ago :(. I am fairly certain it was due to stress/shock. We had a raccoon that managed to unlock her cage a week ago (he had messed with several of the cages that night) and had chased her all over. In the morning I was searching all over for her rather afraid of what I might find because of all the bits of wool I was finding in the tall grass. I was also afraid that I might not find her at all because of all the places she could have gone (we live in the country). But thankfully our boxer dog Laila found and caught her for me. She was in shock but no serious injuries. Since she aborted I have been feeding her raspberry leaves to help her uterus heal since she had quite a bit of bleeding. She isn't eating as well as I would like but she is drinking water. My poor girl, I can't imagine how terrified she was. Send some good healing vibes her way please! :pray:

Since the raccoon incident we have been wiring all the cages closed at night and I have a live trap set out.

Poor girl. Raccoons can be such nasty and smart creatures. Have you palpated her to make sure she aborted the whole litter? It could be pretty dangerous for her if she still had some kits retained.

tonyshuman wrote:
Poor girl. Raccoons can be such nasty and smart creatures. Have you palpated her to make sure she aborted the whole litter? It could be pretty dangerous for her if she still had some kits retained.

Yes I palpated her- no more kits and she no longer has any discharge. This afternoon now she is no longer tender when I palpate her so that is a good thing. I am hoping that she will start eating good soon.

Poor thing. I would give her another really, really thorough feel to see if you can find any scratches, bumps, etc. A cut from a raccoon could easily get infected, and it would be hard to find in all that fur.

How long has it been since she ate? You may need to syringe food and fluids into her to keep her GI system going.

:pray:

She's been nibbling on her raspberry leaves and timothy hay- she hasn't touched her pellets for two days now. Thankfully she is drinking normal and her droppings look normal. Her eyes are bright and clear. She is 1 2/2 years old and has always been in good health. I am thankful that Laila dog found her and brought her to me otherwise I know she would not have had a chance.

Latest posts

Back