Non-stop Cecal

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FusedBrain

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if someone can shed lights on the problem I am facing. I got this 1.5 years old buck 3 weeks ago. He is eating fine and I have been keeping track of his poop throughout this 3 weeks.

His poop seemed normal and regular in size when he is in the cage. I notice that the litter tray under the cage has normal droppings.

My problem starts whenever I let him out for a run in the playpen. He cannot stop leaving cecals all around. I was wondering if it is more of a territorial behaviour or a health problem. There is no hard droppings at all as I understand that if a buck is marking, he should be marking with hard poops instead of cecals. This fellow cannot stop leaving a trail of cecals.

Hope someone can help me out as I am afraid that he might be suffering from some health problems.

Fused

I am moving this to the infirmary so folks will see it and be able to reply (and PM'ing the original poster).

Peg

Are you sure they are cecals? look like a bunch of grapes or a raspberry or something?

Tony will get excited and drop a couple of wet poos now and then - we used to get a lot of them.

Bo B Bunny wrote:
Are you sure they are cecals? look like a bunch of grapes or a raspberry or something?

Tony will get excited and drop a couple of wet poos now and then - we used to get a lot of them.

Yes, I am thinking he's leaving regular poops around for the marking. Snuff used to do that when I had Angel and they weren't yet totally bonded. He would mark around her cage, tons;).

Like Bo B said, cecals look like a raspberry or mulberry or bunch of grapes. Those are "night pellets" and they normally consume them on their own will, if they don't, there is normally a diet disturbance or stress issue going on. Limiting veggies and pellets and sticking to just hay is key for clearing that up. Slowly introduce pellets after a day or two.;)

You're right about it possibly being a health issue though, if it doesn't stop within a couple days, it could be parasites. This can be tested at your vet with a fecal sample.

Peg, thanks for moving to the right thread. I was not sure where to post this initially.

They are indeed bunches of grape-like cecals. Tons of them. If it is health related I was thinking they will also appear on the litter tray under the cage but the litter tray only have normal rounded hard poops.

He would produce lotsa these cecals only when he is out running in the playpen.

FusedBrain wrote:
Peg, thanks for moving to the right thread. I was not sure where to post this initially.

They are indeed bunches of grape-like cecals. Tons of them. If it is health related I was thinking they will also appear on the litter tray under the cage but the litter tray only have normal rounded hard poops.

He would produce lotsa these cecals only when he is out running in the playpen.

Most times, I've only seen them like on the cage floor, and maybe in the litter, but not necessarily. If they're being left outside of the pen, that makes me think health issue, but don't freak out. Just monitor it for now and keep us posted. Make sure he's getting a ton of hay and water. A few pellets, but that's all.;)

Good Luck!

FusedBrain wrote:
Is it possible also he is producing cecal because he is excited or something?
Yes, if it is a stress situation, like a new home or new surroundings or abnormal excitement in the home with visitors for Christmas that he's not at all used to.:)

that would be it then because he just arrived from US 3 weeks ago and I have left him alone in his cage most of the time for him to settle down. So far, I have placed him in the garden for short runs. I guess it is just new surroundings that is causing him some anxiety.

FusedBrain wrote:
that would be it then because he just arrived from US 3 weeks ago and I have left him alone in his cage most of the time for him to settle down. So far, I have placed him in the garden for short runs. I guess it is just new surroundings that is causing him some anxiety.

Most likely, but I think the most stress would be for the first few days, not so much up to or after 3 weeks. It still could be though. Have you just started letting him run in a new area maybe? Something has changed for him it seems. Still could be a health issue though. Which is why it's important to keep an eye on it, which I know you will:D.

Keep us posted. Push the hay.:)

he dun really like the hay that I am giving him. I think i should try out Alfafa instead of Timothy. I even stuff the hay into the toilet roll to get him excited but he dun't seemed to be. LOL....will be persistent. I will keep u guys updated. Thanks!

FusedBrain wrote:
he dun really like the hay that I am giving him. I think i should try out Alfafa instead of Timothy.

No, don't give any alfalpha. Too much protein, if this is a diet issue. Give Timothy Hay for now if you have it.;)

You can also purchase Orchard Hay, Bermuda or even Oat Hay. These are all different textures (coursness), which always help the teeth wear down evenly.:D

LOL. We are quite lucky to be able to acquire Timothy Hay. Do not think the rest of the hay mentioned is available in this country. LOL.

I have Timothy Hay. Will give him lots of those and see how it goes.

Thanks a lot of the quick replies. Really appreciate it.

LOL...

Oxbow refuse to come into Malaysia :(. I had to ask a friend to get their pellets from a neighboring country.

I read and was told by a friend of mine that rabbits do mark territory with cecals. I guess my bunny is doing just that.

It seems that most of my rabbits make their cecals at about the same time

every day. You may try and put him in the garden at a different time.

He just may be too excited to eat them when he is in the garden and

that is the time that he is producing them.

Roger

My girls will push out extra cecals when they are running in the excercise pen. There are some normal poops mixed in, but the longer they are in the pen the more cecals they produce.

It could be a territorial thing if it's only outside the cage. I'm not sure... Use your best judgement, and monitor them carefully for the next little bit.

--Dawn

hi aurora,

Thanks for your sharing. I believe it is marking territory also. He is normal when he is in the cage.

Latest posts

Back