noisy tummies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swanlake

Reaction score
does anyone hear their rabbits stomach gurgle and make noises? i am not sure if this is normal or something is wrong. one bunny seems to act differently so i am kinda worried. they did take some antibiotics that didn't sit well with them but i gave them yogurt, as the doctor said. Not sure if i stoped too soon or didn't give enough. i just wanna see if this tummy rumbling is normal!

If the tummy is making audible gurgles, it's probably gas. You can give baby gas medicine with the active ingredient simithicone.

What was the bunny taking antibiotics for? And yogurt is a bad thing, rabbits are lactose intolerant. You can give them probiotics which is the active bacteria in yogurt but no lactose.

You should give 1-2cc's of gas medicine every hour for about 4 hours.

Any other funny behaviour like sitting/lying funny?

You should read the thread in the health section on gas/bloat:http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11931&forum_id=10&jump_to=222400

--Dawn

Yes, it is "normal". For the most part. Rabbits stomachs should have some light gurgling, but shouldn't be audible. If it is, it's probably upset tummy/gas.

When my bun had heart failure and was on meds, they made his tummy upset and you could hear his tummy gurgle across the room! Other than that, I never heard his tummy or the ones I have now. Never.

Could be gas. You could try giving a little simethecone (As Aurora suggested), it won't hurt a bit even if it's not gas. Tummy massages will work too. And excercise;). Let us know how it's going.

Yup, a little bit is normal. Loud noises usually mean gas.

Does your vet treat many rabbits? Most rabbits are lactose intolerant, so dairy products can upset their stomachs. Because of this yogurt is no longer recommended as a probiotic for rabbits. It's kind of old school.

If a probiotic is needed, use Acidophilus or better yet, Benebac. It's a mix of several different "friendly" bacteria that can be bought from the vet or at pet and feed stores. Since it is not a dairy product it will not upset the stomach. In any case, it won't do much for gas unless it's caused by an upset tummy. Baby gas meds are a lot more helpful.

my bunny was taking antibiotics because i had found two puncture wounds on her while at the vets office. he examined them and the ended up being infected and they were swelled with pus. gross i know. I had had the bunnies for about two weeks then, as i have recenly adopted them. not quite sure how she got them, maybe from where she was before. it was hard to see, as i only felt it. I felt a hard spot at the base of her fur and it happened to be dried blood.

and she has been sitting/lying kinda funny. i am going to try giving them gas medicine and i will see how that works.

thanks for all the help!

Definitely start with the simethicone just in case.

Main thing here is to be sure both of them are eating and pooping. If its gas thats the most important thing. Offer them both lots of hay and be sure theyre eating. Watch for signs of either being lethargic, uninterested in food, not pooping, bellies feeling distended etc.

Im not sure where you are located but I know a lot of great rabbit vets across the state. Let me know if you need some help finding one- I know I searched for a long time to find someone who knew what they were talking about.

Keep us posted :)

I live in the romeo/washington area

If you know of a good rabbit vet nearby that would be helpful. the one i went to didn't really know much, just a little. One rabbit is doing ok, but it is fuz that is not well. i am getting the stuff tonight and will see how that goes. She is eati ng, but not a lot. she won't even eat her favorite treats! hope the stuff works!:?

hmm Im not too sure about Romeo.

Heres a list of rabbit savvy vets, you'll know better than I do what is closest to you:

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11576&forum_id=9

The absolute best vet is Dr. Jennifer Hynes:

Cherry Hill Animal Clinic
211 Newburgh Road
Westland, MI 48185
(734) 326-6699

But Im not sure how far that is from you. I go to Dr. Cornwall:

Bryan M. Cornwall, of Advanced PetCare of Oakland, 6473 Sashabaw Rd
Clarkston, MI 48346, Phone (248) 620-2900

Not sure ifeither of thoseare close..

i live about 30 miles north of detroit. i looked in the vet area and found a place i am gonna try. thanks for the help

still worried about fuz, the tummy noise is gone but she's not eating much. She has gotten so skinny too, i am worried:?

Gas/stasis could be a side effect of something else. Anyluck getting her to a rabbit savvy vet?

Is she pooping normally? Eating treats/veggies when offered?What does her belly feel like?

Any news?

Ireally cant stress enoughthat if shes not eating and/or pooping you need to be worried. We've had so many bunnies lately who are ingesting hair or having gas issues. Its the time of year when bunnies molt, which causes some physical stress, as well as GI complciations if they (or their partner) are grooming and ingesting loose hair.

These things get very serious very quickly in bunnies. I hope the vet was experienced with bunnies and can give you some more info.

Let us know if theres anything we can do to help.

fuz is doing better. she was in gi stasis and thats why she wasn't eating. also, she had an infected wound full of pus, and the pus is stuck to her tissue. the vet got out as much as she could, which was not much. the vet said when she feels better, she will take her to surgery to get the rest of the pus out. thursday is her appointment. i am new to the whole anestisia thing so kinda worried. she now has to take 4 meds, i have to give her a shot everyother day and i have liquified food to feed her.

looking better though, she was exploring today instead of just sitting in her cage. she also stole some lettuce from shadow like she used to :D

Im glad to hear the appt went well!

The shots must be Bicillin? Its good to treat an abscess with the shots as well. Hopefully the vet will be able to flush out the wound more this week.

Is she eating alright and everything?

Latest posts

Back