No nerves and litter training...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PepnFluff

Reaction score
K I was wondering as Pep has no nerves in her reararea is it poss to litter train her coz i was thinking if she has no feeling can she feel that she has to poop and needs to run to the litter box? I've got a litter box and litter in their hutch but only 1 bun and im thinking fluff is using it......

Phoebe

Hi!

The only thing I can think of in this case would beto fill up her litter box with hay, rabbits love to eat and poop at the same time, so munching on hay could provide an initiative to Pep to start pooping at the spot where she eats hay, i.e the litter box (don't worry about eating hay soaked with urine, rabbits never eat it, they just poop and pee in the one end of the litter box and eat in the other).

Pardon me, but why does Pep not have nerves in hear rear end? I'm asking because I've never heard of this, is it a medical condition? Is it a genetic/inherited problem?

Marietta

Thanks Marietta

I've tried the whole hay thing they just dig it out but now i've just had another idea i could fill their vege rack with hay and put it above their litter box so that she has to get in the litter box and stay there. i'll try that later.

Good question and for that i have no answer, my suspicions (sp) is shes a inbreeded bun the lady i got her of had over 80 bunz and im thinking when they were out in the "runs" all together maybe 2 did the deed and volia Peps was born. but then i again maybe thats just who she is.

Ok, I'm confused. When you say she has no nerves, does that mean she has no control over where/when she goes? How do you know she doesn't, has she been vet checked or is this something you have learned from watching her?

It is quite a confusing subject. ohk the vet has told me that she has no nerve in her rear area, the vet did a test on her she was tapping her and giving some pokes in the rear area and she determined that she has little (very little) or nonerve in her rear area. so do you think this means just the outer layers of skin or does it continue right through??????? when she pees and poos she does lift her bum up a wee bit so im thinking she might know when shes peeing a pooping..... Or is this just a natural reaction?????

Hmmm.... Couldshe have been injured or something when she was little, causing nerve damage? I don't think that could jsut be from the inbreeding, I haven't heard of anything like that happening before. I could be wrong, though, hopefully someone with more knowledge will pipe in here. ;)

It sounds like it would be an injury of some kind. And she probably has enough feeling in her hind gut (digestive tract) or bladder to know she's passing something. The skin area may not have much sensation if she had an injury as a baby.

Lots of rabbits have perfect control over their urine. They are very careful to place it in their liter box (or where ever their choice spot is!). And lots of rabbits don't care where their "cocoa-puffs" end up. I have a few boys, (and one girl!)that leave long trails of "dots" behind them. I don't think they are lacking any nerves, they just don't care. But they wouldn't even THINK of peeing outside their cage! Those are the ones I follow behind with a dust pan and broom.... :sweep :biggrin2:

I wouldnt have a clue if she had an injury when she was young. When the vet told me about the nerves I e-mailed the lady i got her off asking about inbreeding or a genetic conditions that she could have about the nerves and dragging of her legs, that was atleast 6months ago and she still hasnt replied and i e-mailed since but no reply:grumpy:yesterday when they were out she did poop and when I put her back she did a pee but i was quite drippy so i really dont know and now im pretty sure i've confused you all even more lol. She was meant to be gettinf spayed these holidays so I was going to ask then but i might not as the dragging of her legs might open the wound so im not quite sure.

Thanks everyone for helping tho:biggrin2:

Phoebe

Latest posts

Back