NIC WARNING

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxysmummy

Reaction score
so we have a mumma with her 4 babies in a little NIC pen. the babies occasionally crawl out through the holes so we put cardboard over it so they couldnt get out.

unfortunately last night a bit of cardboard fell out and one of the babies (about 4 weeks old) tried to get out and GOT HIS HEAD STUCK in the grid. we dont know how long he had been there but we could NOT get his head out. we were freaking out and had to get wire cutters and cut the NIC grid away from his head.

so very scary and we were so lucky to have found him in time. it was about 1 in the morning so if we hadnt checked on them before bed who knows if he would have made it.

i'd hate to see this happen to anyone else so i just thought i'd make a quick warning for everyone x

We had something a tad bit similar. We used to have our Guinea Pigs in NIC cages and the sow had a litter (We had no idea how to sex younger piggies at the time and we bought a pair, trusting the store when they said they were both female... They weren't) so we just had some of the grids seperating them. One of the babies actually grew rather attached to the Daddy so he would climb through the grid to the other side to snuggle with Cuddles. We were concerned at first but Cuddles never showed aggression and actually seemed to enjoy the company, so we let it go. He never got stuck though.

That must have been scary for the little baby. Thank goodness you found it.

kirbyultra wrote:
Were you NIC grids the "new" style where the squares openings are larger? The "old" style grids have openings that are roughly 1.5"x1.5" whereas the new ones are much, much larger! Thread about this size difference: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=40299&forum_id=93

its the old style with the smaller grids. still big enough for a babies head to get through :(

You know what, I believe you 100% even with the old style grid. My exercise pen is the same width as the space in the NIC grids and when Toby was a baby, he not only fit his head. He squeezed his entire body out and escaped. It's terrifying. I had to run out and get one of those Superpet cages with smaller spaces between the bars.

I am very happy you got to him in time. I can imagine that it must have been scary!When I was fostering, I had a momma with her babies and those wee things were escaping every few minutes. My cat, Houdina,would follow them and call me so I could put them back. I had to mesh the NIC panels so they wouldn't get out anymore nor get stuck as that was also my fear. :)You could always try that if you are still looking for a solution.

Back