NIC cages and small breeds

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beth82

Reaction score
I'm planning on getting my first rabbit pretty soon. I have some NIC panels already, and was thinking of using those to make a cage like the ones I've seen on here.
The only thing is, I wonder if the holes are going to be too big for a small rabbit (I will probably get either a mini rex or polish). Do they work for these smaller breeds?

I have a Netherland Dwarf that currently weighs in at 1 lb 8 ounces (to give you an idea of his size). Anything with holes bigger than 1 inch, he can squeeze his head through. This means I cannot use NIC grids or x-pens. I'm pretty sure an adult mini-rex could be safely kept in a NIC cage, as their weight at full grown is around 4 lbs. With both those breeds (Mini Rex and Polish) I probably couldn't advise a NIC cage when they are young babies for fear of them getting their head stuck.

There is a really great cage for small breeds under 5 lbs that can be purchased online through Petsmart. The bar spacing is 1 inch so no worries about a head getting stuck or small bunnies squeezing out. The shelf provides excellent in cage exercise.

My Deluxe Home, Giant by Super Pet
-
46.5”L x 24” W x 24” H - Depth of the base is 8” Deep
-
It's roughly the same size as a 3x2 NIC cage

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753350&lmdn=Pet+Type

:wave:

I think most rabbits over 2lbs should be fine in an NIC cage as long as it has the smaller sized grids. Some stores now sell boxes containing both small and large grids, and the larger ones are definitely too large. Bed Bath & Beyond sells boxes with only the small sized grids.

Are you getting a baby or an adult? It could be possible for a baby of either breed to get a head stuck in even the small grids, but you can put up some extra wire from the hardware store until the bunny gets bigger.

For reference, when my holland lop was 8 weeks he weighed 2lbs and was unable to stick his head through the grids. Though he wasn't all that interested in trying either - some bunnies are more persistent. Now, at his grown weight of 4lbs, he can't even stick his nose through the grids, let alone his head.

Thanks for the replies! I will most likely get a baby, but not younger than 8 weeks. It sounds like a Mini Rex, at least, might be okay with it at that age.
That's a good idea about adding wire if smaller wire spacing is needed. How do you attach it? Zip ties?

I would attach the extra wire with zip ties. I would make sure to put a lot of zip ties in the place the rabbit would be most likely to stick her/his head through like close tot he floor and if you have any levels. Basically anything at the bunny's level. You wouldn't want them to be able to push the extra wire away and still stick their head through.

i'm making a NIC cage for my rex rabbit right now. use 2 zip ties on each side. i have them spaced in the 3rd hole from the corner for each one. careful with the scissors though, i've been pinching my fingers a lot >.< and i'm telling you, it hurts...

also if your bun can still get through, you can just go out and get some chicken wire and attach it to the outside perimeter until s/he's too big too get through. just zip tie that on too

Latest posts

Back