Newspaper eater

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightPoet00

Reaction score
Mabel likes to munch on the newspaper I use toline the bottom of her cage. She has hay around the clock, and I giveher pellets and veggies daily, but she insists on eating the newspaper.She eats all her pellets and veggies (like a ravenous beast, I mightadd!) and munches on her hay throughout the day. But stil...she eatsthe newspaper! Should I be worried? Any suggestions?

Hmmm... I know eating paper products can causeproblems, (I can't remember the word but I think it's basicallyblockages.) Onzlo's been known to eat paper every once and a greatwhile... When I notice him doing it I normally just let him out earlierthan usual and he seems to forget it.

~Christine~

P.S. When can Mabel and Winston meet... I want to hear all about that when it happens....

It's been 3 weeks since the neutering, so they'restarting to have supervised visits. Winston keeps trying to hump Mabel,though, and she doesn't like it so she runs away. One more week andthen they can be together! I think they'll get along well, judging fromwhat I've seen. Mabel likes it when Winston grooms her and approacheshim for that. Winston just adores Mabel and spends all his play timetrying to win her over. I can't wait until they can live togetherpeacefully.

I have a bun that has an obsession withnewspapers, too.... I dont think i've ever seen her eat it, and i'venever seen any evidence of her doing so, but boy oh boy does she loveto rip it all up!

Rip..... rip..... rip.....rip.....rip.....

It's all I hear all day long when i give her a new batch of papers in her hutch.

NightPoet00 wrote:
...she eats the newspaper! Should I be worried? Any suggestions?
I don't recall reading anything that precluded the ingestion ofpaper. Many people provide cardboard tubes andboxesas chew toys and paper is not that far removed fromcardboard. Don't recall anyone ever reporting a problem aftertheir bun had eaten newspaper.

Some people warn about the ink on newsprint as a potential risk, butthen in contrapose others have indicated that most newsprint uses a soybased ink, which is not detrimental to a rabbit's health. Iguess "yer takes yer cherce," on that issue.

To date, none of our buns who have eaten newspaper have shown any illeffects, but nor have they eaten great quantitites, either.If in doubt, though, cut it out. Better be safe than sorry atsome later date and kicking yourself with 20/20 hindsight.

Buck

Binky had access to newspaper and was caughteatingtissue paper from the wastepaper bin, we're not surewhich caused the impaction, but it is likely to be a mixture of thetwo. I wouldn't provide paper to a bunny that's going to eatit, but that's because of what happened to Binky. We'd onlyhad him 5 days and didn't realise that he'd been eating it so much ashe had. We got him on the Sunday and he died on the Fridaynight at 9pm. :(

Watch for any diahorrea, smaller poos than usual and ifMabelis less active than usual. If she hasn't eaten that much, sheshould be fine though, so don't worry too much.

Ang xx

My two are always sat noshing newspaper andtearing bits of any cardboard they go anywhere near. Its never had anydetrimental effect so i just let them get on with it! Seems to makethem happy! :?

NightPoet00 wrote:
It's been 3 weeks since the neutering, so they're startingto have supervised visits. Winston keeps trying to hump Mabel, though,and she doesn't like it so she runs away. One more week and then theycan be together! I think they'll get along well, judging from what I'veseen. Mabel likes it when Winston grooms her and approaches him forthat. Winston just adores Mabel and spends all his play time trying towin her over. I can't wait until they can live together peacefully.
Winston was neutered 3 weeks ago? and Mabel? is she spayed?

Bucks can still get a doe pregnant for a month or so!!!

I was told 2-3 weeks. It's actually posted on this forum somewhere. And they are being carefully supervised.

Buck Jones wrote:
To date, none of our buns who have eaten newspaper haveshown any ill effects, but nor have they eaten great quantitites,either. If in doubt, though, cut it out. Better besafe than sorry at some later date and kicking yourself with 20/20hindsight.

Buck

Mine havent eaten newspaper, but I do give them toilet paper rolls toplay with. Most of them chew on them to some extent, but dont ingestthe cardboard. Rexi however, will eat a toilet paper roll in less thana day....The *whole* thing!!! :shock:I dont give themto her anymore. I'm not sure it hurts her to eat it since essentiallycardboard it paper...paper is trees....and they chew on and eat smalltree branches in the wild to keep their teeth ground down. she's neverhad any problems after getting one...prior to my noticing shewas actually eating them. (Ya'll should have seen me lookingfor the vanishing toilet paper rolls. The kids thought I was losing mymind!) But, as Buck said.....Better safe than sorry!!!

Lanna

Latest posts

Back