Newby from VA

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VA Bun Bun

Reaction score
Helloeveryone!!!! We got our first bunny (mini lop)fromthe rabbit rescue about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure how old heis but guessing he is about 1 1/2 years old in human age. Myquestion is, do all bunnies shed and how long do theyshed? Mine is shedding really bad right now and his furis bit patchy. I was told he was neutered not long ago.I let him loose in the kitchen and in the family room and heenjoys his freedom but he is sounfriendly.:(When I do pick himuphe breathes real hard and sounds so mean. He doescome and sniff around me and does give me kisses on my nose but hekicks and squirms when I do get a hold ofhim.Dobunnies attitude change intime?I have to say he is good with his litter boxand he does not chew, only sniffs. ;)

Hi VA bunny. You should check out the thread byCarolyn. I believe it's called "Rabbit References". The House RabbitSociety is the only link I can think of off hand, which iswww.rabbit.orgthey have loads ofgreat information on their site. Carolyn's post has a lot of reallygood links and book recommendations.

It takes rabbits time to warm up to people and bond withthem.He's in a new environment. You can sit on the floor nearhim and don't look at him (even though I'm sure he's too cute to notlook at) Give him time and let him walk up to you, sniff you and checkyou out. He'll come around and maybe will let you pet him. During thistime don't pick him up. Just rub him gently between the eyes and reachnot from above, but on his eye level so he can see your hand. If hemoves away don't be too discouraged he'll warm up in time.

Rabbits shead all the time, but they moult, I believe it's twice ayear. If he lets you brush him give that a shot. While he's sheddinglike this make sure he's getting plenty of hay and water to prevent ahairball. Rabbits don't throw up like cats so hairballs can be deadlyfor rabbits.

There's so much information to share. If you check out the links andlook through some of the posts here you'll find the answers youneed. When you get some pictures you should post them I'dlove to see your little bunny. What's his name?

Hi VA Bun Bun,

Where in VA are you? I'm in Leesburg. I'm new to bun's too so I won'tbe of much help, but I'm always happy to read stories :) Welcome!

Megan

Hello,Most bunnies dont like picked up,theyusually get used to it if they are young enough.I think he is doingfine and give him more time.bluebird

VA Bun Bun wrote:
Helloeveryone!!!! We got our first bunny (mini lop)fromthe rabbit rescue about 2 weeks ago. I am not sure how old heis but guessing he is about 1 1/2 years old in human age. Myquestion is, do all bunnies shed and how long do theyshed? Mine is shedding really bad right now and his furis bit patchy. I was told he was neutered not long ago.I let him loose in the kitchen and in the family room and heenjoys his freedom but he is sounfriendly.:(When I do pick himuphe breathes real hard and sounds so mean. He doescome and sniff around me and does give me kisses on my nose but hekicks and squirms when I do get a hold ofhim.Dobunnies attitude change intime?I have to say he is good with his litter boxand he does not chew, only sniffs. ;)
Hey,

Does he grunt when you pick him up? Is that what you mean by "soundingmean"? That's ok, he's not necessarily growling at you. Bunbun used towhuff in my face and make huh huhhmmm hmmm noises, and rumbledeep in his chest. It was love.

And all bunnies tend to kick at first when you hold them. Usually it'sbecause they are uncomfortableor think they are falling. Abig bunny needs lots of support. Just practice and don't give up--bothyou and he will get used to it in time. Wear long sleeves....

Try laying on the floor and talking in a high voice when he's outrunning. He's not unfriendly, just being a bunny on the move. Anunfriendly bunny will lash out with front feet and kick and bite.

Treats help too.....

The shedding thing is more or less twice a year for my bunnies. Yes, they get really patchy, and it lasts a couple of weeks.

Good luck!

Rose

I live in Hampton. Wenamed him Hersheys. I don't know if it is a grunting sound,b/c I really don't know what that sounds like. He's beenshedding for way past 2 weeks and it does NOT look like it is going tostop any time soon. Do all bunnies shed real bad?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIPS. I LOVE READING WHATEVERYONE HAS TO SAY ABOUT THEIR BUNNIES.WOW!! :)

VA Bun Bun wrote:
I live in Hampton. We named himHersheys. I don't know if it is a grunting sound, b/c Ireally don't know what that sounds like. He's been sheddingfor way past 2 weeks and it does NOT look like it is going to stop anytime soon. Do all bunnies shed real bad?
Ohhhhh, yeah!! they sure do!! Some take longer than others.

The grunting sounds like hmmm hmm uhhh uhhhh uhhh deep in the chest--approx.!

Both males and females do it, but often for different reasons.

Rose

Hersheys makesthat noise only when I feed him though so I guess that means he ishappy :). I have also noticed him jumping and while he is inthe mid air, hetwist his body and land in a differentdirection and hops away. What does that mean?Happy???? :shock:

Wow, I am glad to know that he ishappy here with us, eventhough he would not let us hold him.I thought binkying was something more than that. Previousowner had told me that some bunnies will jump around andjustfall out.I thought that wasbinkying.

Latest posts

Back