Newborn rabbit abnormal size?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TweedBunny

Reaction score
My mom rescued 2 bunnies,a femalecheckered lop, the other amale dutch. She rescued them at thesame time from different places, and got the male fixed shortlyafter.Apparantly the young male was able to impregnate thelop before he got fixed because last night, the female gave birth toONE baby in her cage.My momdidn't even know she waspregnant. The baby was dead by the time she found it. I was surprisedat the size of the baby - it seemed too BIG. It was about 6-8 incheslong, about 2 inches wide, and already had white and black checkeredfuzz on it.

Is 6-8 inches long normal?! I thought the baby would be much smaller,like 3 inches. I can't find anything on the web saying how big newbornrabbits are supposed to be. Looking at it, im surprised it didn't killthe mom coming out.

Also - isn'tit abnormal for arabbit to give birth to only one baby?

Thanks for any info!

what she had was a fetal giant. . .i found wheni bred that it happensa lot when the rabbit only carries oneor 2 babies.

the first time i had it happen was from this tiny 3 pound hollanddoe.. .the baby was born huge with a nice thick coat (it wasa really neatly patterened tri color) it was dead at birth. . .and wasthe only kit in the litter.

and yes, it is odd for a rabbit to only have 1 baby but isn't uncommon. . .

i would watch her for the next few days. if she starts to act funny then get her to the vet to get checked for more kits. . .

Latest posts

Back