New Zealand or Satin

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinf8936

Reaction score
What is the difference between a New Zealand, White Satin and A white American?

I thik the one I am gettingfrom the shelter is a New Zealand, it was a stray they found.

Ed

The New Zealand and white Satin have similarcommercial body types and both breeds are similar in size averagingabout 10 pounds. The Satin has a unique fur type that istransparent and fine in diameter giving it a beautiful glass-likesheen. It has a very soft feel to the coat, where the NewZealand has a flyback coat with coarser guard hairs similar to theAmerican's coat.

The Amercian is extremely rare and has a "mandolin" body type which islonger and lower over the shoulders than that of the New Zealand andwhite Satin. I see the Americans occasionally as there arebreeders in Ohio who show them. They also average about 10lbs.

Maybe you can post some photos and we can take some guesses as to the breed? (Knowing the weight is very helpful also)

Pam

Speaking of Ohio breeders, Pam....

I heard a lot of good comments towards your judging today from a goodamount of ND people. As a writer, I speak on behave of a lotof writers when I say "Thanks for keeping your comments in a particularorder." :DWe just need to get a drainage judging table and amicrophone for ya. :p

BTW: Speaking on board member to board member basis..not intending for anyone to think of judge influencing. ;)

Thank you for the nice comments and congratulations on your Best Of Breed win with that beautiful Dwarf Hotot!

Pam

Why thank you :DHe's achild from myhomegrown.:D

Both of his parents were on the table so its nice to know I'm going inthe right direction. Gotta love DH's but they sure are hard to get agood one! I had 6 kits born on the day he was born, and only one isreally worth keeping!

I had to laugh at Shelley... she was namingotherbreeder'srabbits AND their parentsAND grandparents.Ya know all those 'you know your from a small town if/when..." Well wehave to start one up for "You know you raise a smallpopulatedbreed when you can name all the other breeder'srabbits."

[shadow=lime] ~*~Amanda~*~ [/shadow]

You just clean up at these shows, don't you, Amanda!

Congratulations on yet another Big Win!!

-Carolyn

Carolyn,
Well, normally its just two of us at all the shows with dwarf hotots.Nine times outta ten we end up sharing the BOB and BOS. When you have asmall populated breed theres not a lot of anger competion. Howeveryesterday we were happy to see another exhibitor other then myself andanother girl. We both still ended up cleaning house. I was asked tosend this Jr. Buck with my 'dwarf hotot sister' to ARBA nationals.However, I just can't part with my baby for over a week! This was thebuck's last Jr show so now he has to compete with the big boys haha!

[shadow=aqua] ~*~Amanda~*~ [/shadow]

(Sorry for overriding this discussion)

So can we see a picture of The Winner??

-Carolyn

Yep, when I get one taken LOL! It's a job gettinga DH to pose long enough to snap a picture. :)But thats why Ilove 'em, they hey have so much personality! If you can waittill the end of the week, I'm sure to have the camera in the barn LOL!I've got 2 does due the end of the week. Its the last litters tillwinter ends. I learned my lesson last winter on the heat bill LOL!However, I've got it if I need it, along with the AC. :D

[shadow=red] ~*~Amanda~*~ [/shadow]

I pick him up Thursday after work. He has smooth fur but not as short as a Rex.

Ed

Hopefully, you'll have a chance to postphotos. The New Zealand, American and Satin all have a coatthat lies very flat and returns quickly back to position when strokedfrom front to back. -- Or at least it *should* -- not all rabbitsexhibit ideal coats for their breed :)

Pam

Latest posts

Back