New To Bunny's

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meganc731

Reaction score
Hello All,

I've never had a bunny before and I have some questions about housing.I'm thinking of making a cage similar to the ones on this website...

http://cavycages.com/howto.htm <-- this link show's how they're made

http://www.cavycages.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=531&password=<--this link shows some made for bunny's and other small fuzzies.

In some of the pictures, it doesn't look like there is anybedding/flooring in the rabbit's cage, just a litter box. What is anappropriate flooring?What works good for a hiding place, I'veseen so many different things used. Is a small cushy cat/ferret bed agood idea?

Do rabbits chew on their cages? I was thinking of using an old baby play pen, would a rabbit chew through it?

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Megan

"Cavies" are Guinea Pigs and they require solidflooring and protection from drafts, so their housing is a littledifferent from that of rabbits.

In the US, rabbits are commonly kept on wire floor cages, so droppingscan fall through to a litter pan below. A vinyl slotted padcan be put in the cage to relieve pressure on the rabbit's foot pads.

Rabbits will chew right through just about anything, so the onlyexposed surfaces on the cage should be metal. Keep in mindwhen using any type of pen that rabbits can climb, so a top needs to beon the enclosure of an unsupervised rabbit.

Pam

yeah you'd be surprised how high they canleap. We just attempted to make our Emmit an exercise penthat was 2 1/2 feet high...he just leaped right over it...sad becauseour design didn't work...but incredibly funny to watch his reactionafter he finally made it over...happiest bunny in the world!

-Carrie

Welcome to the forum, Meganc731.

:)

Rabbits need to stay dry in order to stay healthy, which is the reasonwhy I like the drop pan wire-bottom cages. I have a litterbox in thereas well, but personally, I like the added air that gets through thewire.

I do give my rabbit a bed or a placemat to sit on. I am very careful ofhim wetting it and bacteria growing, so they're cleaned often. Myrabbit lives inside with me and I'm home in the morning, at noon, andnight, which means I'm able spot it easily and right away.

As Pamnock mentioned, vinyl padding helps to give them a break fromstanding on the wire floor and some rabbits can develop sore hocks ifyou're not careful. (I'll bring up the abbreviations list so that youcan get familiar with some of the terms.)

Don't use cedar shavings as a litter for your rabbit as the fumes afterthe rabbit urinates on it are toxic for your rabbit's respiratorysystem.

(You've probably looked into all the basic needs of the rabbit such asTimothy Hay, an 18%+ fiber pellet food purchased from a feed store or abreeder, fresh water daily are the essentials.)

-Carolyn

Thanks, for those tips. The pet stores in my areajust don't seem to have anything big enough... or at least I don'tthink they're big enough. I haven't seen any all wire cages, justplasticbases with a wire top.

If I get two peices of 8 ft long (24 inch wide)white metalcloset shelving and cut them in tothree 4 foot peices and two2 foot peices, I can make an enclosure 4 foot long X 2 feet wide with alid that swings up. I can make a base like the onesused forthecavy cages out of colorplast that would go around the"cage" instead of the cage going around the base. Is there any reasonthat wouldn't work? Is that a large enough space?

In the cavy website, the directions are given to make a cage for acavy, but in other parts of the website there's suggestions on how tomake similar cages for different types of animals. There is one madefor a rabbit, but it's split in two, and someone made a comment thatthere was not enough room for the rabbit to stand up straight, so Idon't think that particular design is good for that reason.

I just want to find something that will be suitable that I'm capable of making on my own.

Thanks,

Megan

Megan,

I've recently 'bumped a post' back up for you that was old. It's entitled 'Big Enough Cage' by lizardvine.

I think you'll find it interesting if you read through it.

When Buck Jones is making a cage, he likes using j-clips as they don't rust.

-Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thanks for bumping that up for me, that was really interesting, and alot of good info. The only question I have is that I thought rabbitcages were supposed to be filled with wood chips of some sort and mostof the pics I've looked at have carpet, newspaper,or someother flooring. Is this for rabbits who routinely use their litterboxes? Can arearugs be used providing they don't chew onthem? I really feel like a lot of the housing depends on the specificrabbit, so it's kind of hard to know what will work until we get one.

Thanks again!

Megan

:D

Hi,

Tucker's cage has a drop through area and a nestbox that Buck Jones put a carpet down on.

Tucker does like to pull up the carpet in strands, but he doesn'tingest it. There are no guarantees that all bunnies won't ingest it.

Tucker's just as happy with a faux (fake) fur bed in the wintertime,which he won't urinate on (Bacteria caution if they do), and he now hasa litterbox he can go to and use in this cage. In his old cage, he hada wire bottom. He favored one corner and that's the area of the droppan and wire I'd have to clean the most.

You can do it either way.

Let them urinate and poop through the wire, or put a corner litterboxin the area and clean it every day so that they're not urinating orpooping in a damp area...causing illness.

As you know, once a rabbit shows signs of a 'cold' or illness, it'shard to treat because they have to hide their ailments from a predator.Their natural instincts always kick in.

-Carolyn

P.S. Tucker and Fauna are house rabbits and I'm able to check their conditions morning, noon, and night.

Wouldn't recommend filling with woodchips. If their on wire, I'd putdown a vinyl padding. Keep them Dry....that's the main thing in makinga cage. They need to be able to stretch out and remain dry. Wood chipscan cause mold and bacteria. Comfort and air. That's what I'd keep inmind when making their cage.

Got my cage mostly set up....

I made planswith the lady that we're getting our rabbit fromand we're actually picking him up a week sooner than I expected, so Ineeded to hurry to try to find a cage. I didn't realize Tractor SupplyCo. carried any pet supplies but we have one right around the corner,so I went there.... unfortunately for me they had just sold the lastcage in size I wanted, so I bought a peice of the material they makethe cages out of and I made a wire mesh floor for the bottom of ahomemade cage. I think it's going to work pretty good and be muchlarger than anything store bought.

Carolyn had mentioned using J clips... I saw them at the store but Iwasn't quite sure how they would work. For now I used plastic zip tiesto hold everything together, but it would be much better if theindividual panels didn't collapse so easily, would the metal clips helpwith that, or is it mainly used so that there's no plastic ties for therabbit to chew?

Thanks,

Megan

Hi,

I'd definitely not trust the plastic ties not to get chewed by therabbits. The J-Clips are best because they don't rust,they're small, and they're very durable. You'd have to get aj-clip tool in order to properly apply them.

Tractor Supply Company are great stores. You should be ableto purchase the Woody Pet Animal Bedding there as well. I useit as my litter and for $4.99, I can get a 30 lb. bag. Itworks beautifully. Just something else to considerwhile you're there.

I give you a lot of credit for taking this onyourself.

We'll be very anxious to hear when your new baby arrives at the house. :)

-Carolyn

I really have to try some of that WoodyPet Bedding that you and Buck have been recommending. I'vebeen slow about it because the nearest Tractor Supply Company to us isabout an hour and a half away.

We've been using Yesterday's News which as you know can bepretty pricey. I try to stretch it as best I can, but inorder to keep the box clean you just have to do what you have todo.

My lionhead kind of looks like a cavy/terrier mix. :shock::D

I'm trying to attach a picture of the beddingthey show on the Trac. Sup. Co. website.... is this what the packagelooks like? Also would you happen to know which stores carry purinarabbit food, that's what the rabbit is eating right now.

Thanks,

Megan

That's the stuff, Meganc!! :)

Sorry, I don't know who would carry the Purina food, but you can findout through their website the stores in your areas that would haveit. I couldn't find Purina or Heinold in my area,so I contacted the breeder whom I got my rabbit from and they sell bagsof it. Perhaps you could try some local breeders in your areato see if they would know of someone?

BunnyMommy,

Are there any horse farms in your area? A quick call to themmight be able to help you find some place closer. Also, youcan check out the woodypet.com website. The TSC (TractorSupply Co.) store near me sells it by the pallet and last time I wentin, they were out of it. If you decide to take a ride for itsomeday, call them first and make sure they have it in stock.I buy it in bulk when I do get it. Last time I found someavailable, I picked up four 30 lb. bags of it. I always usedYesterday's News too. You can't beat the price ofWoodypet though!

-Carolyn

BM - I also use the Woody Pet and itreally helps in controlling the urine odor. I think thatthere are other stores that carry it. Maybe you could do asearch by telephone and find a store that is closer to you. Ithink that once you have tried it you will like it. I do likeBuck does and scoop out the wet area and add more if needed.I used to wash the litter boxes every night but I do not have to dothat when using the Woddy Pet. Now I wash them every 2 or 3days and freshen them up in between. Give it atry. Beckie

Carolyn wrote:
BunnyMommy,

Are there any horse farms in your area? A quick call to themmight be able to help you find some place closer. Also, youcan check out the woodypet.com website. The TSC (TractorSupply Co.) store near me sells it by the pallet and last time I wentin, they were out of it. If you decide to take a ride for itsomeday, call them first and make sure they have it in stock.I buy it in bulk when I do get it. Last time I found someavailable, I picked up four 30 lb. bags of it. I always usedYesterday's News too. You can't beat the price ofWoodypet though!

-Carolyn

Okay, after spending approximately 40 minutes on both the phone andInternet trying to locate a dealer who is close to us, my husband and Iare now on the way (an approximately hour and 10 minute drive) to pickup Woody Pet for His Majesty. Take into account, I'm supposedto be asleep right now. :X

The things that I do for this bunny ...

Back