New rabbit hasn't passed anything in 36hrs

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, well to be honest I don't know for sure it was a gut motility injection, I just assumed it was as it wasn't antibiotics and she was to go back to get another injection if she still wasn't passing anything. I wasn't able to collect her so I couldn't ask questions and my relative who collected remembered that the vet said there doesn't seem to be need for antibiotics yet. She hasn't passed a huge amount as if she had an enema or anything and I haven't noticed any signs of pain or felt any contractions so now I think it was probably just a fluids injection. I will be continuing the feedings and infacol until she is passing regularly by herself and eating normal amounts. Her appetite is much better today. She has passed a few soft pellets by herself and more after massages and her tummy feels a lot smaller.

I trust my vets judgement on the x-rays, she treats a lot of rabbits and has even operated on several of my rodents successfully to remove tumours. The x-rays showed no visible obstruction or particular area of build-up, no gas build up in stomach, and most of the gas was far down in the large intestine.

I believe it was the stress of being put in the pet shop which probably triggered the stasis. She was in with 2 of her sisters and about 15 unrelated female rabbits most of which had been in the shop since the previous week. It wasn't a massive area so they were quite clumped together. She's a bit underweight so she probably wasn't getting her fair share of food either.

I will go looking for some fibre-plex once the shops reopen, thanks for that. Merry Christmas :)

my last rabbit harry didnt eat for 3 days took him vets and they said they could feel a lump in his belly gave him xray and said he had a blockage needs surgery to remove only when they opened him up they said he had a ruptured tumour which is almost impossible for a rabbit to do he had to be put sleep now my new rabbit hasnt eaten today so im worried, he was neutered few weeks ago just like harry before he became ill though even with the tumour he was still active and lively only took him to see why he wasnt eating!

This was a two-year old thread, I'll be locking it to avoid any confusion.

sas :thanks:

Latest posts

Back