New litter soon (hopefully)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZminilops

Reaction score
Hello again, a while back I was concerned that my doe might be pregant, and I ended up taking her to a vet for an eye check up (allergies to pollen) and the vet announced that the rabbit was about two weeks pregnant. I was pretty shocked as the only buck that she has had contact with was a 9 and 1/2 week old. The buck that used to be in the hutch next to her passed away right on the day the vet is convinced that she conceived so perhaps his lustful actions caused his death? I have heard that it is possible to mate through cages but they weren't that close.

Anyway I didn't really believe the vet until the last few days as she has gotten very large and firm around the middle, has gone right off her pellets and water, and will only eat grass. She has done this with her first litter as well. She is pooping normally and a hell of a lot also, as you will see by the picture. That is just one afternoons worth which I have cleaned up of course. She is not as friendly as usual yet begs for grass like a nutter. Do other peoples does do similar things?

I think she is about 29 days gone if the vet is accurate. She has built a tunnel in her hay but no fur pulling yet. The first time she kindled I had no idea of her pregnancy so she did not have as much hay and did not tunnel. This time around I made sure she had heaps and heaps.

If everyone who reads this could wish Dodge luck for her delivery we'd both be very grateful. As she is pet rabbit she will be getting de-sexed after the kits are weened. I have at least 7 potential and trusted homes lined up for any kits and am a responsible bunny owner :).

mini-DSC04669.jpg

mini-DSC04670.jpg

mini-DSC04671.jpg

Hey thanks everyone, means a lot to me.

Hehe, yes she has built it up even more now, she's going crazy making a burrow out of her hay. She is HUGE so probably around 5-6 kits? I really am not sure. She had 4 with her first litter and she wasn't big so it's hard to judge. Her babies were absolutly beautiful and I screened about 20 different homes before I found the right ones. Two girls went to a farming family together, one boy went to another small farm, and the other boy went to a lady who lives around the corner from me. I email them all about once a week to see how they are doing. Every person that got a kit already had at least one rabbit or had owned rabbits previously.

It's still dark and freezing cold here, very early in the morning, but I will go out soon and she how she's doing. Her hutch has been wrapped in tarps and blankets, lol, she will be nice and snug.

Latest posts

Back