New Digging Behavior

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Toby has started to dig at EVERYTHING lately. By lately, I mean the last week or so. He now digs constantly at his green rug (that protects OUR carpet from being wee'd on, chewed, etc.). He has even taken a chunk out of it. He jumps up onto the bed with me in the AM, though not as often as he used to, but will dig at the covers and runs away when I try and pull the covers tight. He won't let me pet him for very long anymore, either. I still get my nose-kisses and happy-circles around my feet when I have treats, but I don't get him hopping up onto the bed and licking my face/shoving his whiskers in my face anymore. He also "digs" at a stuffed toy that he dragged out of my closet. He pulls it under him and digs at it. He isn't "humping" it, I think.

Oh man, what does it all mean?!?

How old is he? Is he neutered? Has anything changed in his world recently? (like location of his home, new addition to the household, change of perfume/washing powder/deoderant, etc).

that's just like Liffey!!! and it's only been since i got him castrated a week ago. it's like he went nuts or something. but he does the same thing. the digging and also bunching anything and everything under him.....but he's not humping...i've already seen him do that but this is different. even when i hold him he digs and just acts weird. doug and i can't figure him out. i guess i better keep an eye on this thread too so i can get some ansers.

He is 3 1/2 years old, he is neutered (since 6-months old), and nothing has changed that I can think of. The room is still how it was (and has been for the last year). All of our products are the same, I have been wearing some of Will's deodorant (until I can get to the store). Other than that, nothing comes to mind... :(

Longer than the problem has been around :p Will wears a gender-neutral scent, so I don't stink like a guy lol

Also, Toby has FINALLY started going in his bunny condo (the lower "cubby"). His condo is made of a wooden box with a whole in the front and is covered in carpet. That is the base. Then there is a level on top of the box, and a little shelf above that. He just started going in the lower part yesterday. He pulls the towel I put in there out, digs at them (pulls them under his tummy as he backs away from the condo), then goes back in the condo.

I think he also tried to make sweet, sweet love to my fluffy slippers... :? I don't know if that's what he did or not. He was digging at it and pulling it under him, but he wasn't doing the "stereotypical" humping thing. Should I just get him a friend? lol

i dont think it's your deoderant. i change mine all the time depending on whats on sale and either liffey can't smell or he just doesn't care. and i'm always changing body washes and perfumes and it doesn't phase him. maybe he's just going thru a phase.

As of today, these are his objects of choice to dig at:
- carpeting (which he NEVER does)
- green ugly rug covering our carpeting (he occasionally digs at)
- the carpeting on top of his condo
- his towel (occasionally)
- our quilt that was somewhat draped on the floor
- Will's pajama pants leg (very unusual)

Other than that, he's been very active today. He normally has certain areas that he "roosts", but he has been getting into more places today.

So far today, I've found him:
- on top of the laundry hamper (it's a tall hamper)
- under his footstool
- stuck in the wire of the rack under his cage (it's for storage)
- inside his condo (he NEVER went in there before)

What would cause the change in behavior? Is it possible that he is bored? What should I do?

kherrmann3 wrote:
As of today, these are his objects of choice to dig at:
- carpeting (which he NEVER does)
- green ugly rug covering our carpeting (he occasionally digs at)
- the carpeting on top of his condo
- his towel (occasionally)
- our quilt that was somewhat draped on the floor
- Will's pajama pants leg (very unusual)

Other than that, he's been very active today. He normally has certain areas that he "roosts", but he has been getting into more places today.

So far today, I've found him:
- on top of the laundry hamper (it's a tall hamper)
- under his footstool
- stuck in the wire of the rack under his cage (it's for storage)
- inside his condo (he NEVER went in there before)

What would cause the change in behavior? Is it possible that he is bored? What should I do?
I think he's looking for a girlfriend.

Dang. I knew it. I would try to bond him and Berry-Boo again, but she took a chunk'o'fur off of him last time. He's terrified of her. Not to mention, she's a chewer, and I don't think she could ever be free-roam here. :( I want her to be able to live in someone's home uncaged.

There is a lop at the humane society by me that I was eying up. We'd do dates before she came to live here, of course. BUT, until she finds her forever home, we can't have another bun here (apartment manager and mister poopy-head (AKA Will) said no more bunnies). Two is the max here. :(

*pouts* Belle is such a cutie! She's a snuggle-wh*re (at least Will called her that).

well, since she's such a snuggle-ho maybe she'll give up being so aggressive and just cave in and be a snuggle-ho to toby....lol....

i really want liffey to have a friend. since i'm such a firm believer that everyone should have someone to eh hmmmm "snuggle".....but liffey is so good. and he's such a sweet and loving bun. i'm afriad he'll change if he gets a friend. but then i feel like i'm selfish for wanting his love all to myself....decisions decisions.....

Latest posts

Back