neutering?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm starting to talk myself out of this! Why exactly, again, should I have Hershey neutered? He is 8 months old and is a sweet well behaved bunny! He is very snuggly and will sit on my lap for hours as long as I'm petting him. He sprays a little in his room but not much. Mostly he pees in his box. He doesn't dig or make any other kind of mess.

Will his personality change as he gets older? Will his personality change if I do have him neutered?

How important is neutering?

Well, for boys it isnt essential unless you plan to ever bond him to another bunny or if youre having behavioral problems.

That being said, Ive done it with every one of my boys and I'll always continue to do so. Its minimally invasive and generally improves their quality of life IMO. They arent so hung up on wanting to you-know-what all the time.

My first boy, Basil, never had too many problems with behavior (except the occasional spraying or humping my foot). But I had him done and hes such a lover. He calmed down a lot and his litter box habits improved tremendously. Plus I was able to bond him to another boy eventually.

If you have a good vet you shouldnt worry. I think its worth it.

For additional info: here's the RO library link on Spaying and Neutering

Here's one way of thinking about it: You are doing your bunny a favour.

The reason I say this is that rabbits are pumped full of hormones and have a huge sex drive. Once they reach sexual maturity, one of their biggest urges is to reproduce.

Could you imagine spending all day being sexually frustrated and not being able to do anything about it?

By neutering him, you will be relieving him of his huge sexual drive. He won't be obsessing about it at all any more.

It also opens the door to the possibility of a bonded mate. After having both single buns and bonded buns, I don't think I will ever have a single bun again as I feel my bonded buns are much happier. An unneutered male is just about impossible to bond to anybun.

--Dawn

I agree with Dawn....a rabbit's primary mission in life is to reproduce. He will be a calmer and happier bunny. But there is a more sinister side that you won't have to deal with if he is neutered.That is testicular cancer. I got a call that some people had found a rabbit too weak to move sitting in the middle of a street. He was so dehydrated that he bent a needle. He only weighed just over 3 pounds (very emaciated). But one of his testicles was the size of a golf ball. He had cancer. We started the most aggressive support treatment I had done up to that time since we knew surgery was his only option. Five days later, still weak but we felt we had to go, he underwent an emergency neuter. He came thru with flying colors and today is a very happy and healthy senior gentleman. There is never any question with us. The benefits outweigh the risks.

Randy

The rescue where I adopted my bun had a male with testicular cancer - he'd been found in a truly horrible situation, and couldn't be neutered due to prior injuries to his spinal cord. (His hind legs were paralyzed.) He was already developing cancer when he came to the shelter, and was a very sweet, patient bunny. I met him not long before he died - and can truly say that I don't believe anyone here would want their bun to develop testicular cancer.

I've never had a male bun, but after seeing this guy, I'm 100% for neutering for this reason alone, plus the other things folks have mentioned (being hormone-driven, prevention of "surprise" litters, aggression, etc.).

Good, thankyou! This is what I need to hear...why it's good for Hershey! Cause I can't see doing it for behaviors, as he is such a good rabbit as it is. I need to know howit will be better for HIM not me!

I also believe that the benefits of neutering a healthy male outweigh possible risks of surgery.

I have seen a couple cases of testicular tumors. Removing the testes eliminates this risk.

Pam

I have 4 boys. 1 was neutered when I got him. the other three were not. I have had two neutered and they came through great.

One I haven't because he has been so sick most of his life and putting him under scares me. We have been going over it alot lately debating wether we should or not.

Well, good job, then! ;)

Butter -just- got neutered today (He's three years old and never had any behavior problems except that he would do the happy bunny on the leg thing and then get pretty stressed. I'm looking forward to having that not happen once his hormones all dissipate :) )

Ok, it's been done! Hershey was "fixed" on Monday. All went fine and he was able to come home Monday evening. He acted pretty droopy though. Not his own happy self. Wed. a.m. I was getting a little worried that something might be amiss! But Wed. evening he snapped out of it and started hopping about, and that little spark is back! (whew!)

BTW, the vet asked if I was feeding him Timothy hay, I said no because he wouldn't eat it. I told the vet he would only eat a little alfalfa hay, and he mostly ate veggies. The vet said that was ok as long as he was eating lots of veggies!

Im so glad to hear Hershey is doing well! What a relief!

He's a chocolate dutch, isnt he? I always love looking at your avatar because he reminds me of my boy Max.

Do you have a blog? If so, I need to check it out :)So glad he's ok though.

:pink iris:Haley

I'm glad that hershey is doing OK...I really have to admit that I didnot know that testicular cancer was an issue for males..glad that I learned that. I also never really thought that an unneutered male would be in perpetual sexual frustration ..just never occurred to me.

Mine are all neutered but I actually thought the health issues were almost exclusively with females.

Yes, Haley, he's chocolate - hence the name! (heehee). I'm glad he reminds you of your Max! Yes, I do have a blog, but I haven't written much in it lately. Probably should, since Hershey is such an entertaining fellow! lol!

The vet also said that neutered rabbits live longer than un-neutered rabbits.

golfdiva wrote:
The vet also said that neutered rabbits live longer than un-neutered rabbits.

I remember that a little while ago when I was researching Dutch rabbits I saw that unneutered male rabbits have a lifespan of 3 to 6, and neutered males have a lifespan of 6 to 10 years old. Something like that. ;) Just thought you'd like to know.

Rachel.

Thanks Rachael, and yes, knowing that makes me feel better about the whole thing. Hershey seems to be ok physically, but he really isn't his usual self yet. He still slower to recognized me. He used to start running around as soon as he saw me, now it takes a minute or two. He doesn't run as fast or as "happily" as he used to. I hope this is just temporary!

I personally wouldn't neuter any of my buns, but then again I breed them. At this stage I would only do it if it was a medical requirement.

All my buns, boys and girls, are happy animals without behaviou problems...so far.

Latest posts

Back