Neutering without narcosis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mummel

Reaction score
The big Pet clinic here in this area has a new method of neutering (for 2 yrs.)

I had Moses there for neutering too and was surprised he was done so fast and so fit :shock:I wanted to make an appointment for Salem now and this time the nurse told me how they exactly do it.

Usually I prefer inhalation-narcosis but they said that this is not even necessecary most of the time and that they would put the bunny in some kind of stiffness and just neuter with a little anesthetization.

Has anyone heard about it or even had itfor their buns? I know a couple of people that are satisfied with it but i would like to hear more opinions/ more information.

Im unsure about it because to me it sounds like the bunny would be still aware of whats going on and that would be haggardly for Salem..he would freak out.

Emi

:shock: Is it like trancing them? Check this thread:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=14622&forum_id=1

If so, I would not recommend having them neuter your bun. Trancing is a prey instinct- chickens do it too. They "play dead" when the predator grabs them. Usually if they feel a shift in how they are held, they snap out of it and try to make their getaway. Rabbits are conscious while they are tranced and can feel everything.

Considering how sensitive the genital area is, this sounds like a really bad way to do a neuter. I could see it being used for minor procedures such as tear duct flushes or tooth checks, but not a neuter.

I think it is kinda like a trance yes.

I tolld them that I think it might scare the bunnys to much to be aware of whats happens and the dr. said it wouldnt be that bad and my bunny wouldnt try to commit suicide after..-_-'

Hm there a couple of Dr.s in that clinic. Maybe there is one that just uses regular narcosis?

The only thing I've heard of is spaying using lasers which is a lot less stressful than under the knife. I'm not sure if that applies to neutering. I'm also not sure if there is a difference on how they put the bunnies under.

Hm,

as far as I know they use the knife for neutering.

I have been refered to an active member of bunny help germany who gets rescue bunnys neutered like that and is satisfied with it.

I will see what she has to say about it.

After a long talk with the Dr. I got Salem neutered with this method.

What they did is they just turned him on the back, made sure the area is numb and did the surgery...

Salem was in perfect conditon when I got him back. Not tired from narcosis and not scared either..:)actually like nothing happened.

Back