Nesting Boxes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kookookachoo221

Reaction score
Hello,

My rabbit is pregnant and I dont want to go to thestore and spend money on a nesting box. Is there a way thatyou can make a nesting box at home. If there is whatareyou suppose to make it out of and what are you suppose toput in it?? Please help soon. Thanks!:)

kookookachoo

In a pinch, you can use a heavy cardboardbox. It needs to be big enough for her to turn around in --so not to big, nor too small.

You can also purchase a plastic container from the store and cut thefront down so she can easily jump in and out of it. Don't cutit too low, or the babies may stray out.

A bucket with cardboard taped across the front (to keep the babies in) will also work -- secure the bucket so it doesn't roll.

Opps -- sorry -- forgot to say what to put in the box. Strawis an excellent insulator if the rabbits are outside. I putshavings or news paper in the bottom of the box. If you don'thave hay or straw, shred newspaper and/or cardboard. Don'tuse material such as towels -- the nylon can cause serious intestinalblockage.

Pam

Thanks for the help. I think I will trythe cardboard box, so do I just take a good size box and cut the frontof it so she can get in and out? Do I just put straw,hay,(what else)? And then she will arrange her fur with itright?

kookookachoo

Yes, she'll add the fur and fix up thenest. Pack it with a lot of hay/straw and make a littledepression in the back to encourage her to nest there.

I'm going to take a shower, and I'll check back shortly to see how things are progressing . . .

Pam

Latest posts

Back