nemo doesn't really like his pellets!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timetowaste

Reaction score
nemo hates his pellets! i have tried several different brands. he will eat his hay and his parsley, mustard greens, etc etc till the cows come home (so to speak of course, haha), but when it comes to his pellets, he refuses. i will dig lettuce into the pellets so that way he gets a "treat" if he eats his pellets, and he will dig in the pellets to rip out the lettuce, eat that, and then leave the pellets.

does he REALLY need them? i mean, if he is eating healthy anyway, lots of timothy hay and greens and occasionally a craisin or two? or a strawberry yogurt drop or two?

help please thanks :)

Read my FAQ on feeding buns:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=16340&forum_id=48

He doesn't really need pellets as long as he gets enough veggies, and a good variety. I'd recommend feeding more than one type of grass hay if possible. I get bales of mixed grass hay from a local farmer and bluegrass from my in-laws. Lots of online vendors sell different types of hay too. Good treats are fresh fruits and veggies like carrots, broccoli, and bell peppers. They'll add some more nutrients.

If he's still growing, he'll need alfalfa hay too.

I'd still offer pellets, in case he wants to nibble them a little. I like to feed at least a small amount of pellets so they get at least a little of all their vitamins no matter what I feed.

Yup, bermuda grass is great! Each species of grass has somewhat different nutrition, which is why variety is good when a rabbit can't/won't eat pellets.

We never worry about pellets as long as our rabbits eat hay. We have several on "Bunny Weight Watchers" that get only hay. And bermuda grass is good. Besides the nutritional part....hay is the "timing mechanism" that controls transit time thru the GI tract and it also is the primary way that the teeth are worn down. Different types of hay requires different chewing mechanics so the teeth are used in different ways. We routinely mix hays to encourage foraging...which is a natural behavior and provides a type of entertainment for the bun. And it's pretty cool to watch them go after that one particular strand of hay they want.

Randy

Latest posts

Back