need some help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hi there all

i have a new bunny rabbit called Lucy who is 11 weeks old

she is what i would call a free range bunny but she has taken a fancy to our carpet curtains and skiriing boards

does anyone no of a product i could buy

Iva asked all the pet shops in my area but they cannot recommend any

Hi addeytrix, welcome to the forum. Unfortunatelybunnys love to chew on the things they couldn't. Do you give her lotsof alternative things to chew on? You could try to condition herbehavior, anytime she chews on a no-no firmly tell her no and then giveher something acceptable to chew or dig. Otherwise there are productsout there, I have seen bitter apple spray and have heard that works onsome buns, other's use Tabasco sauce. I would think any of the productsdesigned to deterr dogs from chewing would work on a bun too. Good luckwith your little Lucy. Would love to see a picture if you have one.

Fergi's mom

On a side note, you may want to give her less room to roam, she soundsa bit young for that much freedom, unless you can supervise her.

oh OH....oh pick me! pick me! LOl I know thisone.... Get the bitter apple spray. I work at a petstore and I send onehome with everyone who gets a house rabbit and they always come backfor more. There is two kinds. One kind is for dogs the other kinds isfor birds. I have heard that the dog kind works better for rabbits. Forthe dogs how we train them is by first spraying it in their mouths.Then when ever they smell it they remember it and dont mess with it.that is what I did with spot one of my english lops that I was havingproblems with. He kept chewing on EVERYTHING he got by and he wouldbrake his teeth. I put that in his mouth and he went crazy I felt kindof bad but it worked. I let him out and he went to bite something thenhe stoped and caught a wiff of it and shook his head and kicked up hisheels in the other direction. Now he doesnt even bother looking forsomething to chew on. After a couple of days of searching for somethingthat didnt have that stuff on it he gave up. Thank goodness because Iwas actualy scared that he would bite me in his bitting fits.

I also use it on my english lops if they start to chew on their ears.It works good for that as well. I hope that this helps. Good luck.

hehe.. the bitter apple spray is a gamble. mostof the people i've seen wtih rabbits say that their bunnies *like* thestuff!! i know it was true with mine. bitter apple and evenvet recommended veriton did nothing to stop my two. the only thingthat's worked so far is ivory soap rubbed on our baseboards! they werenot happy with us when we finally did that :p luckily theyleave the furniture alone.. so far.

You could also try a very hot sauce...like Tabasco or whatever is thehottest. A wildlife biologist recommended that solution to me, and itworks for some bunnies, but not others. Tucker, my Polish, enjoysspice, so I just have to use a water gun on him when he chews thefurniture, which he doesn't bother with anymore. I've noticed that asthey get older, their need to chew things becomes less intense.

If you pour some hot sauce onto a paper towel, then spray somefurniture polish into it, then wipe down the furniture, supposedly whenthey go to have a taste, they'll stay away.

I had to order Dave's Insanity off of the internet because everything Ibought in the stores wasn't working for Tucker. Unfortunately, after Itreated the furniture one day, I rubbed my face and then pushed back myhair, and I can't tell you how bad my face stung. I'll never use Dave'sInsanity again that way without wearing gloves.

Let us know what works for you.

-Carolyn

P.S. Be careful she doesn't eat the carpet. Itcould cause a blockage. I'd use the watergun and a loud "No!" when shestarts that.

My Stitch used to have a problem with that! wellshe still slips up sometimes I use a squirt bottle and a loudno! But I hear that white pepper works so that there is nostain or it wont show if you have light carpet.

Marie

Latest posts

Back