Need some help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentle giants

Reaction score
This is sgoing to be quick because I have to leave in a few minutes, but my Mini Rex doe Lady has lsot a ton of weight while still eating the same amount. I have pics. She has no runny nose/eyes, no sores, injuries, runny poos, nothing that I can see wrong, except for this weight loss.

009.jpg

008.jpg

007.jpg

She still has a little tummy. Bo does that sometimes...

Has she been wormed? has she had more excercise than usual? How old is she?

:yeahthat: Age please? I'd deworm her right away in case that is the problem.

Is she currently molting, or is that an old molt line on her? Sometimes when one of my buns has a really heavy molt he'll drop some weight.

I'd start giving her Nutri Cal to get some calories into her.

Don't use any dewormers unless she's actually diagnosed with parasites (you can take a stool sample to the vet.)

It's hard to guess what could possibly be wrong. Could be a serious physical ailment, or could just be a viral infection.

Pam

Ok, I'm home now, and can try to give more details. She isn't molting, so that can't be the problem. She is just past three years old. Everything has been saem as usual in terms of feed, exercise, etc. If she had worms, wouldn't the others be having problems too? She hasn't gone anywhere or eaten anything that the rest haven't.

Just this morning, she refused her feed. I think she might have eaten a little hay, it looked like there was less there. I brought her into the house so I could monitor her more closely, and noticed that she has pooped a fair amount, but a lot of them are small and dry. She was also grinding her teeth, but I don't know if that was from the stress of being in the house, or from pain. Could whatever problem she has have cause her gut to slow down? She isn't in actual stasis yet, because she is still pooping.

I don't think that she has drunk very much either, but if possible I would rather get her to drink on her own ratehr than syringe it because that will stress her so much. I know it's hard to tell from a picture, but she is really scrawny. Her "hip" bones are like little points, and you can see her spine from the side. This has only been going on since about the middle of last week, I walked into the barn one morning and it was like boom! She was skinny. This was during a nasty cold snap,and I thought mabye she wasn't getting enough calories to keep up, so I have been upping her pellets. But then last night she was acting droopy, and this morning refused her feed, and she has been enthusiastic and eating well until now. Does any of this make any sense to you guys??

Edit to add: You can see her spine in the bottom pic, it's pretty obvious.

I would get a stool sample to the vet if you can. Other than that, Im with Pam on the NutriCal.

It sounds like shes going into stasis or having gas issues. Have you been able to listen to her tummy? Is it making any noises? Also, what does her tummy feel like to the touch?

Id get some Nutrical and push the fluids and hay, especially if her poops are getting small. Id bet the grinding the teeth is associated with whatever GI issues shes having, rather than being brought inside.

Her tummy feels normal to the touch. As for sounds, I'm not sure. I have a bad ear infection right now, and I'm not hearing well. I can't get any Nutrical until tomorow, would my local pet store have that, do you think? Or should I try the feed store?

Yes the pet stores have nutrical but be careful what kind you get. I was dumb and got beef flavored by accident lOL!

Get the mint for kitties or something.

Ok, some good news this morning. She is back to eating and drinking on her own as of late last night. I'm glad, of course, except that now I'm really confused, LOL.

Latest posts

Back