Need Information on Dewlaps on Male Bunnies

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gshaffner

Reaction score
Hello-

New member.

I have a boy bunny that has what I thought was a dewlap. The other day I was petting him and had a chance to feel it. It is soft and squishy (like fat would be) but I want to make sure that it is not something else.

He has had it for a while and shows no sign of distress (i.e. not eating, lethargy, etc). I spoil him with treats (he is a treat hound) especially banana.

Should I worry or am I being over reactive?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

He may be a little overweight..

it is not good at "to spoil him with treats'" Even though you do it because you love him it will harm him in the long run . If a rabbit is going to have banana it should be a very small piece not more than once per day.

rabbits have very delicate GI tracts and it doesn't take very much to disrupt the gut flora.
Lots of good quality hays and a small amount of pellets daily and a very minimun of treats is what he needs to stay healthy.
if you have a pic why don't you post his pic and we can see the dewlap up close. ?

Only does ares supposed to have dewlaps, some not even at all. So if a boy does, then that usually means they are overweight. I agree with angieluv that you shouldn't spoil him with treats, especially ones high in sugar. Cut back on the treats and maybe you will see the dewlap go away.

Thank you.

I know I should not spoil him but I am such a softie. He follows me around pushing on my ankle until he gets his treat. If I refuse him I am "persona-non-grata" for the next few days.

I will try and get a photo tonight. He knows when I pull out the camera and its splitsville for him.

Thank you again.

If you're feeding him lots of treats, sounds to me as though he may be a little overweight - you could try giving him a pellet when he nudges, if he enjoys them, as they're not quite as bad as other treats.

What breed is he?

As far as I'm aware, in certain breeds, males can get 'bulges' under their chins that look like dewlaps. Alfie, who is an English Lop, has a little roll under his chin, but he is by no means overweight. I think Rexes can get them too - but someone correct me if I'm wrong. There may be others too.

I found a picture of him but I cannot find out how to post it to this reply. I checked out the help section, but there is no mention of how to post a picture. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Perfect! I rescued him from NTRS in Dallas. Do not know what breed he is.

DiggerisCurious.jpg

digger.jpg

Batty has a 'pencil line' to me, it's like a mini-dewlap. Thankfully though, it's not a DQ and he can still show:biggrin2:. But, as much as I hate to admit, I don't really feed him treats unless I remember to, he gets 1/3 cup of rabbit pellets a day and unlimited water.

Latest posts

Back