Need help with choosing approriate xpen height

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renaelock

Reaction score
I am adopting (yay!) a 3 year old checkered giant and want to get him an xpen for inside and outside. I thought 30 inches tall would be good but don't want to make the mistake and have to buy another one thats taller. So I do have a picture of him in an xpen but I can only count 5 rows before the picture stops. I asked his owner but she didn't answer so I'm guessing she can't remember (he doesn't have the pen anymore so she can't measure it..). So, for those of you with checkered giants or a breed thats about the size of a cg, how tall should I go? Part of me is thinking 36 inches now but I like the lower price of the 30 inch. Any help would be appreciated!!! Oh and I was thinking about getting the epoxy because it'd be safer for my birds if they for somereason landed on it or got their beak on it somehow (zinc is toxic to birds). Could a rabbit easily chew up the epoxy? Pardon me if I am being blond, I figure the epoxy is just a rubbery type coating over the wire - if it's something else, my bad (hehe)

A Checkered wouldn't have any problem taking a flying leap over a 36" enclosure - they are like giant springs!

It can depend on the individual rabbit. My Korr can easily jump a 14" grid, but won't do it onto the slippery floor of the kitchen, he will jump it if he can get traction on either side. He has gotten out of a 28" pen once, but hasn't tried since then. So for my rabbits, I would go for 30", 24 is too small and 36 would be a bit tall.
There are other rabbits who can easily jump 48", while others won't jump over anything.

I would get the 30" or 36". You might want to ask his current owner if he is a jumper or not.

Keep in mind your ability to get in and out of the pen. Most have a door that is in the middle of the panel. This makes it hard to get a bunny out. There are ones where the door goes to the top so you can just open it and step in. I am tall and can barely step over a 30" pen. You can get them so that it can put put out strait and not just in a circle. If you get one of these, you could just open it at that end, but it does need to have something to keep it closed.

Latest posts

Back