Need Help Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Wiggles seems to be in pain... She's hiding in the dark, digging herself a hole in the blankets... She is really aggressive with the blanket and she is breathing faster than normal. I also heard some gurgling...

Is there anything I should do for her now? I gave her the hot pack and all that but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Her ears have gona pale again so I am keeping her warm. They were okay just a half hour ago until she started whimpering...

I have started giving her pedialyte and she ate a tad bit before... Is the gurgling because of gas or because she is hungry?

Any ideas what I can do for her?

If she went a while without eating and then ate the veggies, she could be having gas issues. It's also a post-surgical thing with humans, so maybe with bunnies.

You can try giving her Simethicone, but you don't want to be handling her, so try and avoid it.

The best thing for her to be eating is hay. The veggies are good because they tend to eat those more often when their appetites are surpressed, but hay is still best, if she'll eat it.

Watch her very carefully, unfortunately gas sypmtoms may mirror more serious concerns like internal post-op bleeding -- cold, pale, lethargic..

My guess is gas, especially given the gurgling. She'd be more lethargic with bleeding I'd think. Although my Dill always looks like he's about to cross the Bridge when he has a gas attack -- his eyes are dull, he's panting, cold, limp. Scary.

TheSimethicone won't hurt her ingesting it, it'sgoing to be the administration that's tricky.

Here's a link:Simethicone

sas :?

What is simethicone and where can I get that? yeah I have restrained her by lying down with her and holding her, she's not moving but still bites it. Thank you for the advice. I will try pushing the hay :)

Ah nevermind, I hadn't seen the link sorry! Thank you :biggrin2:

Thank you, she definitely knew that she should be eating that hay. she didn't want it earlier this afternoon but now with the gurgling she seems to really want it :)

Thats great she's eating her hay- it will definitely help with any GI issues so encourage her to eat as much as she'll take. One trick is to lightly mist the hay with apple juice right when you put it in her cage (you dont want it to sit long like this for fear of molding, but its ok right before she eats it).

Also, has she eaten any pellets today? Try to encourage that as well.

Haley wrote:
One trick is to lightly mist the hay with apple juice right when you put it in her cage (you dont want it to sit long like this for fear of molding, but its ok right before she eats it).
I believe it is JimD who sprays his hay with chamomile or peppermint tea, that might help if the apple juice doesn't.

Ewwww

She just pooped this weird transparent stinky, sticky thing. Looks like mucous but it's sticky and smells like poop? There was a tiny black poop too but that one is normal other than being small. Is this a side effect from the Baytril or something? Is it something I should be worried about?

MsBinky wrote:
Ewwww

She just pooped this weird transparent stinky, sticky thing. Looks like mucous but it's sticky and smells like poop? There was a tiny black poop too but that one is normal other than being small. Is this a side effect from the Baytril or something? Is it something I should be worried about?

Theyoften pass those large mucous covered droppings after a bought of GI stasis. It's a good sign that things are moving along in the intestines.

Pam

I couldn't find the nutri-cal at the pet shopi went to today. I will check the other in the morning.

Question:

What is better for rehydrating her: gatorade or pedialyte?

MsBinky wrote:
I couldn't find the nutri-cal at the pet shopi went to today. I will check the other in the morning.

If I can't find it, I always ask. If the first person doesn't know, then I ask someone else.
One place kept it behind the counter because they didn't know where to put it.
They make it for "dogs", "cats", "dogs & cats", "puppies", and "ferrets"....and I'm pretty sure it's all the same stuff.

Is it called NutriCal in Canada??......I think it is :?

~Jim

Thanks. I called though and they were waiting for the order to come in... Bah!

The vet tech called to check up on Wiggles and she is a bit concerned so the vet will call me back and see if I need to bring her back in.

JimD wrote:
Is it called NutriCal in Canada??......
The U.S. company name is Tomlyn Nutri-Cal.
1-800-267-5707

It use to cost me $19.99 but now I can get it for $10.50 CAN.

Pebbles loves it. I squeeze a large pea sized amount on top of some oats so it doesn't stick everywhere, and Pebbles gobbles it up.

Back