Need help on show ranks Please

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsBinky

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm working on some stuff and I was wondering if you could help me out. Can you give the full names of things show bunnies get such as best of breed, best of show, etc. and where they rank in order?

I appreciate the help :biggrin2:

Each breed is shown differently. I will give you an example of Dutch, Jersey Woolies, Netherland Dwarfs, and Belgian Hares.

Dutch:These are shown in Varieties (Colors).

First, the rabbit must place 1st in its class. Say the class is Black Senior Bucks. The rabbit will then compete against all the 1st place Black Variety rabbits (there are 4 in Dutch: Sr. Buck, Sr.Doe, Jr. Buck, and Jr. Doe) The judge will chose Best of Variety and a Best Opposite of Variety (must be opposite sex than the BOV). These two rabbits will go on to compete for Best of Breed and Best Opposite of Breed. Since there are 6 showable colors in the U.S. for Dutch, eventually you will have up to 12 different animals on the table for Best of Breed and Best Opposite of Breed, two from each variety. Only the Best of Varieties can be considered for Best of Breed. Once Best of Breed is chosen, the judge will excuse all the rabbits of the same sex because Best Opposite Breed has to be a rabbit of the opposite sex. So if the BOB is a Buck then all the bucks are excused and the remaining 6 does will compete for Best Opposite of Breed.

Jersey Woolies: These are shown in Groups rather than in Varieties because there are 24 different colors recognized. Everything else is the same like the Dutch but insert the word Group in place of Variety.

Belgian Hares are the same except they have one recognized variety in the U.S. Therefore, all 1st place animals are considered for Best of Breed. Opposites of the Best of Breed are considered for Best Opposite of Breed.

Netherland Dwarfs are more complicated. They are shown in colors and the colors compete for Best of Group. So they have an added step. They can will Best Black (for example) and Best Opposite Black and these compete against the Blues and the Chocolates (there are more in that group) for Best of Group. There are 5 different groups in the Dwarfs.

Breakdown:

1st place - BOV & BOSV (or BOG & BOSG) and then BOB and BOS.

Hope this helps and sorry if this is confusing. If you give me a breed you are interested in showing or learning more about how they are picked, let me know.

Sharon

Edited to add: At the end of the show, all Best of Breeds are eligible to compete for Best of Show. Some shows pick a Best Reserve too, others Pick Best 4 class and Best 6 class with these two rabbits alone competing for Best In Show.

4 Class is for rabbits that only have Sr. Buck, Sr. Doe, Jr. Buck, and Jr. Doe (4 classes)

6 Class is for larger (more than 9 pounds) that have a 6-8 month class for bucks and does too. Therefore they have 6 classes.

Wow :shock:thanks much more complicated than I thought. Actually, I should have explained myself better... I'm just looking for ranks to use for my french forum. Hehe. Sorry. But I was curious about the showing. I've never been to one and I never really knew how they were being judges so thank you for explaining :)

They are against each other for Best of Variety. Then they could be against each other for Best of Breed (if different sexes are chosed for BOV)

Sharon

Awwww ok... I get it... So like BOV isthe best, and the other (the opposite) is like second best to BOV best best in it's breed and sex right?

Sorry if I am sounding dumb, I just wanna make sure I got it right... Lol

MsBinky wrote:
Awwww ok... I get it... So like BOV isthe best, and the other (the opposite) is like second best to BOV best best in it's breed and sex right?

Sorry if I am sounding dumb, I just wanna make sure I got it right... Lol

Yep - Best Opposite Sex of Variety is the best rabbit of the sex opposite of what was picked for Best of Variety. However, it may not necessarily be the 2nd best rabbit in the breed;)

There are many times when judging that my 2 favorite rabbits of variety or breed were of the same sex - but the opposite sex must be chosenfor BOSV and BOS.

Pam

I moved this over to the Rabbitry and Show Room because it answers a great question about how the rabbits are organized on the table...

Latest posts

Back