nails! ahh!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trina

Reaction score
gRrR... Emmy keeps moving and jumping out of mylap! I tried to cut her nails yesturday.. but nothing worked! I coverdher eyes so she won't get scared. I wrapped her in a towel like peoplesuggested too when the last time i needed help .. but nothing seemed towork! And it is driving me crazy! Her nails are very very very blongnow.. and whenever i go to move her hair out of her nauls..she jumps upor either bites me in the arm &hand!:Xahh! what should i do! Do i have to take her somewhereelse so somebody can cut it for her? or should i just wait for a coupleof days more like i did the last time??

-- I'm out of options--

:?Trina

Hey, Trina. My Sherman doesn'tcooperate well with me either when I try to cut his nails.For now, I just take him to the vet every six to eight weeks or so andthey cut them for me. We're in and out in about five minutesor so and they only charge me $9.00.

Hope this helps! :)

I have a blanket that holes in it...i have mydaughter wrap him upand his lil nails poke through theblanket she pets him as i cut his nails it works well!!

I had to go with the vet option aswell. She won't let me do it. She freaks.I can get her front ones sometimes. But you can forget herletting me touch the back.

Sometimes, I believe you ladies approach the taska little too timidly, and if buns are as clairvoyant as many of usthink, they sense you are not in control and take advantage of you.

Sometimes, I have to be pretty assertive when I'm doing my crew's nailsand I may have to reposition them on theirs backs several times foreach foot. Occasionally, their eyes willgetpanickyand they may even whimper, but I know I am not hurtingthem, really.

After it's all over, I give them a good grooming and a ton of petsuntil they're chattering with pleasure. Then I know all isforgiven and forgotten, until next time! In truth, it doesseem to get better and easier with time and repetition, as they growmore accustomed to it.

I understand, though, if you can't assert yourself as the alpha rabbitwho is in control, and if the bunny burrito technique, or variation asdescribed above, doesn't work, why, then, a vet is your only option.

Maybe, the vet will let you observe, or particpate, so you mightunderstand how she/he is able to do it, and you are unable.Some will, some won't.

What about engaging some male you know, who might feel less intimidated by bunny hysterics, as another suggestion?

Buck

Yesterday I happened to try for the first time tocut Manny's nails. Emphasis on "try". I succeeded in cutting 3-4 nails,but she wouldn't let me any more. Her limbs were so rigid that Icouldn't lift them up.

How do you place a rabbit on her back? When I try it, she immediately turns her body and runs away.

Buck Jones wrote:
Sometimes, I believe you ladies approach the task a littletoo timidly, and if buns are as clairvoyant as many of us think, theysense you are not in control and take advantage of you.

Sometimes, I have to be pretty assertive when I'm doing my crew's nailsand I may have to reposition them on theirs backs several times foreach foot. Occasionally, their eyes willgetpanickyand they may even whimper, but I know I am not hurtingthem, really.

After it's all over, I give them a good grooming and a ton of petsuntil they're chattering with pleasure. Then I know all isforgiven and forgotten, until next time! In truth, it doesseem to get better and easier with time and repetition, as they growmore accustomed to it.

I understand, though, if you can't assert yourself as the alpha rabbitwho is in control, and if the bunny burrito technique, or variation asdescribed above, doesn't work, why, then, a vet is your only option.

Maybe, the vet will let you observe, or particpate, so you mightunderstand how she/he is able to do it, and you are unable.Some will, some won't.

What about engaging some male you know, who might feel less intimidated by bunny hysterics, as another suggestion?

Buck
Buck, I tend to think that you're absolutely correcthere. I know that my Sherman is bound and determined to be the Alpha bunny,so he does everything in his power to make the situation go hisway! Everything you describe from the look of terror to thewhimpering to the flailing ... he knows every trick in thebook. I'm always paranoid about hurting him, so I'm an easymark."Bunny hysterics" is the perfect termfor how he acts! LOL!

Whenthe vet(a male) clips his nails, he sits therelike an angel who's floated down from heaven. :X Itell the vetthat I simply can't get them clipped at home andhe looks at me like I'm from the TwilightZone. LOL!

I'll be giving this a try again in a few weeks when his nails have grown out again.

Thanks for the wonderful input on this.

BunnyMommy wrote : Whenthevet (a male) clips his nails, he sits there like an angel who's floateddown from heaven. :X I tell the vetthat Isimply can't get them clipped at home and he looks at me like I'm fromthe TwilightZone. LOL

Yes, BunnyMommy, I can so relate to this. I tell the vet to watch out,and Pernod and Perry behave so sweetly just to make me look like afool!

Jan

think about it. if someone wants to paint yournails (and you're, for example, me, and hate nail polish), would it bemore fun for you to squirm around and watch the nail polishers squeal?or to sit still and watch 'em shine with delight as you're pounded withpink nail polish?? *shudder* id go with the former option :p thats whati do when my sisters or cousin take me shopping

Clever they are, I don't know if my boyfriendcould do it or not. I bet my dad could though. Mydad is excellant with animals. Forgive me if i get thiswrong, but my dad was a dog trainer in the Army in Vietnam.That was his specialty.

We have to trance Henry before we can touch hisfeet. It takes 2 of us, one to hold him and stroke his noseand the other to clip the nails. If he wakes up and flipsround, we let him run around for a while then pick him up again andstart over. He's a pretty easy rabbit to hold mindyou.

Max is the opposite, struggles alot and doesn't like being on herback. However, some firm handling usually calms her down andwe can trance her easily. I managed to do it on my owntoday! I was well proud of myself! LOL :D

oh, i have a question. Now that Babywill let us pick her and craddle her like a baby for about 1/2 aminute, would that be a good way to try to trance her?

Yeah definately, it'll make it easier to check her over without her scrabbling!

Just stroke her noseand maybe round the whiskers, somerabbits don't like the whiskers being stroked, Henry hatesit. You should feel her relax, usually the head falls backinto the crook of your arm and you should be able to clip the whole lotin one if someone keeps stroking her nose.

Good luck with it! :D

I'll get my daughter to help tonight.I'll get her to pick her up and rub her nose. If it works andI can mess with her feet, then we'll try that the next time she needsclipping.

I know that when i rub her nose and she's lying in the floor, she LOVES it!!!!

Yesterday I tried trancing with Manny. I cradledher and petted her head. For a few seconds, Manny closed her eyes andeven relaxed her head. But soon she opened her eyes despite mycontinued petting, and she looked very scared throughout my attempt.

What am I doing wrong?

Long, calming, repetitive, smooth strokes on theforehead, maybe tapering off from the ears, while speaking in asoft,cooing voice might help.

If cradled in my arms, I sometimes let the head hang off and slopedownwards a bit. On occasion it can take several attemptsbefore successfully accomplishing it. Don't be impatient, orlose heart right away.

Buck

Latest posts

Back