Nail Clipping

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca

Reaction score
Fluffball keeps accidently catching me with her claws and sometimes dippy does it too i know it isnt't on purpose - when do you reccomend i should clip them?

When you hold the rabbit's nails up to light you will see the "quick," which looks like a pink nerve running through. As long as there is sufficient dead nail beyond the quick, it is okay to cut the dead portion.

I don't know how often you are supposed to cut a rabbit's nails. I cut my rabbit's nails once every 2 months, but they run around the apartment so much that by the time I get to them they have already lost a few nails by snagging them on the carpet!

Okay thanks - Dippy has black nails and Fluffball has pink - But I have watched that "squeeze squeeze clip" video and will be watching it a couple of times so i am an expert.

Just remember, that even the experts sometimes hit the quick, so make sure you have something on hand like styptic power or flour, cornstarch, dish soap, etc. :):rose:

Every few months or so sounds about right, depending on how much they are wearing them down on harder surfaces. You can also shine a light into the side or underside of the nail to reveal the quick. This works especially well on dark nails. Both Max and my dog Honor have black nails, and this trick helps avoid quick-cutting. Having quik-stop on hand is a good idea anyways, as it'll help repair a broken nail. Dubby once flailed getting into the bunny-burrito towel (reserved for nail-trimming), and ripped a nail right off! It figures, that only Dubs would rip the nail right off rather than get it cut. :p

i do it about every 6 weeks, or when the nails get to be 1/8 inch past the quick. some of the nails wear themselves down, especially those on the back feet...

Latest posts

Back