My runty and her lip..

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoinBackToCali

Reaction score
Here is my runt.. BlunderWoman..

I do recall when the litter was born, picking one of the pinkies up and seeing what looked like an ant bite on her whisker area. It was probably this one..

It doesn't seem to affect her much, eating wise... but I suspect she is kinda sickly from it. She just is not growing.

She is also missing some fur on the side of her neck.. but that could be from scratching...

Anybody ever seen anything like this?

Yes she is separated from the others..and we sanitize properly..

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0240.jpg

DSC_0239.jpg

DSC_0238.jpg

DSC_0237.jpg

DSC_0236.jpg

Don't think I've seen one like that before. Is it draining? It looks like an abcess that broke open, but they don't usually drain like that. Have you tried antibiotic ointment on it? Bag Balm? Poor baby! Looks uncomfortable.

Is it irritating the lower lip too? If you pull up the sore lip, is it inside the mouth too?

She has had it since she was born, before she was coated with food so I couldnt really see it.. its on the top and bottom lip.. mostly on the top, and an open wound isnt inside her mouth, but the swelling is affecting it..

It has been suggested to me that this is what she has..

Venereal Spirochetosis (Rabbit Syphilis): Rabbit syphilis is a relatively rare sexually transmitted (venereal) disease of pet rabbits. This disease is caused by a slender, spiral bacterium (spirochete) transmitted by direct contact between infected and uninfected rabbits. Transmission is more likely to occur in rabbitries than in a household. In fact, exchange of bucks breeding males) among rabbit breeders helps spread the disease. Infected rabbits develop multiple raised, crusted and sometimes bleeding ulcers on the external genitalia, around the anus, and on the face (particularly the nose). Affected rabbits remain alert and the condition usually disappears after several weeks. Treatment is recommended and involves antibiotic injections.

But out of a huge litter, she was the only one affected..

Puzzling indeed!

I've seen rabbit syphilis before, just never on one so young. And usually the face is a secondary infection after the genitals. But I would assume that if the dam was infected, it could appear on the kits face first. The dam's immune system may keep it in check, but the kit may have a weak immune system that doesn't allow it to fight it off. (Especially if it doesn't seem to be growing or thriving.) The other babies may have overcome it. (Stronger immune systems.)

When we went to the vet, they thought Hazel had syphillis as well. She gave us a lot of info. It definitely looks like the pictures.

And as for being the only one affected, that's probably not true. It can be there and just not show any signs unless there is major stress or anything like that.

That's just some of the info the vet gave us. Unfortunately, it now seems like Hazel was bitten instead, :( So now I'm not sure exactly what to do. >.<

Angel-

Thanks for askin.. I forgot to update the thread..

She went to see my vet, he cultured the lip. The results won't be back for a few days, but he did make some observations, and their is a few things I need to update ya'll of.

The *blister* in it's self is not oozing. The pic is a bit deceptive. The discoloration in the fur around it is not do to pus or ooze. It's due to over enjoyment of baby food banannas. So that did make it look like an active case of rabbit syphillis in the pics.

He actually thinks, given the fact that it's solid with no drainage, that it is entirely possible it is just a birth defect. On pigs they are called blood warts..It actually kinda straddles her top and bottom lip..

She goes everywhere with me, and sleeps with me. She's gotten a round tummy, she eats like a pig and drinks ravenously. She's gotten to where she Binkys incessantly!

We adore her! She has been renamed.. since she is pretty clumsy, we call her Fergie.. or the Dutchess.. since Fergie has the song "Clumsy"

Once I am past the point where I think she still may pass.. I am going to start her own blog..

So happy to hear she's doing OK. Pictures can be decieving. (Nothing wrong with baby banana's!). Please let us know what the cultures show. I'm really interested in what they find. Never saw anything like that. :shock:

Latest posts

Back