My rabbit is lethargic, wheezing and has a white substance coming from her eyes (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm so sorry for your loss :tears2:

You did your best for her and she was truly loved.
Binky free Truffle :pink iris:

I'm so sorry. I wish I could have been on earlier to help, but I don't think anything else could have been done for her.

To determine if this was from tooth root issues, a URI, or myxi, the vet may want to do a necropsy. I also wonder how quickly the disease set on, as it seems that it come upon her very suddenly.

Truffles was a beautiful bunny and I can tell she meant a lot to you. She did have a good long life, and it's possible that she was just hiding a tooth root infection from you for a long time (rabbits are very good at hiding illnesses), until it became more than she could handle, and the infection got into the rest of her system and she couldn't recover from the bacterial toxins taking over her body. I'm so sorry you lost her.

Hi everyone thank you for all your kind words and support, it means so much to me. Your are all very wonderful/helpful people :).
Truffle was up and down for the last few days but, she'd sometimes goes through a phase where she'd just lie around all day, so it was really hard to know plus, with being paired with her daughter, it was hard to fully know how much she was eating and drinking, so she could have been very thirsty/hungry. Finally we've had some really hot weather over here in the uk recently which, if she couldn't drink wouldn't of helped :(
I'm am off to the vets soon to collect her and bring her home to rest, I was thinking I might try rubbing some of truffle's scent onto a toy and giving it to Eclipse, so that she doesn't feel so alone as, she has been with Truffle all her life.
It's going to be really hard going to the vets, this is the first time i've done this so, i'm nervous about the process. I'll let you all know what happens and what they say about the cause of her death.
Thanks again everyone for you lovely messages.

I'm so sorry :(

This was the first post I came and checked and I'm so sorry that the news was so tragic.

Truffles was very lucky to have belonged to such a loving family. You did well to get her to a different vet, and you tried your hardest which is all anyone can do.

I think that Eclipse may need to see Truffle's body if that's at all possible. That's a reallyt hard thing to do (something I had to do a week and a bit ago) but it can help them come to terms and accept why their friend has suddenly disappeared. It will make it easier for her to move forward, as opposed to potentially pining.

I really hope you stick around the forum, despite this tragedy. I really respect you as a rabbit owner and would love to learn more about your buns. But that's a though for another day.

Binky Free Truffles. x

Tracy
x

Binky-free at the Bridge, Truffles:magicwand:

So very sorry to hear about your dear bun. She had a wonderful life with you and your family.

hi everyone,
again thanks for the nice comments, I definitely will be staying around here because, you are all wonderful people and I will be all to willing to tell you lots more about my other buns Flashy(Tracy)and thank you for comment about respecting me as a owner it helped to cheer me up a bit :).
We collected Truffle from the vet this morn, it was very surreal I burst into tears as soon as I saw her head poking out from under the blanket, I kept thinking I saw her blink (wishful thinking).
We brought her back and I nipped out to get some nice flowers and a little bunny ornament to decorate her grave site and also a little cuddly companion for Eclipse. I ended up getting a little black bunny ornament which looks just like Truffle but currently no flowers and I managed to get a floppy bunny for Eclipse and I got a little cuddly bunny for myself that looked a little like Truffle.
When I got back we showed Truffle to Eclipse, she sniffed her then grunted, stomped her foot and went to her top hutch level where, she grunted a few times more so, I think she new what had happened. We then buried Truffle and I put the little ornament on her grave. It looks really nice.

Aw, that does sound really lovely. It sounds a lovely, peaceful place, to rest forever more.

Well done for showing Eclipse, that's really important for her, and takes a strong person to do it. It does sound like she knew, and hopefully that will make it easier for her to move on.

thanks for you reply flashy, Eclipse seems to be doing okay she came back down not long after and sniffed the areas that truffle had been the day before and has been lying down (prob cuz of the heat, they all seem very lazy today, made sure they all have plenty of water and shade), it looks like she is still drinking and she's had some food finally, she seems to like the cuddly bunny, she has been sniffing it and lying next to it, i'm hoping it will bring her some comfort.

I'm glad she is doing ok :)

At the very least, maybe the cuddly will provide her with some stimulation. That's what I found helped my buns most; sitmulation. I was changing their toys multiple times a day, putting them in the run next to different bunnies, hiding food, stuff like that, because it can occupy their mind away from the fact they are alone.

Yes, that does sound very nice, and Eclipse may be upset but it sounds like she's doing ok. The stuffed animal is a good thing, as was showing her Truffle's body, as difficult as it may have been.

From what you said about her activity level before she got sick, I think she may have been ill and was hiding it. Keep a close eye on Eclipse for the same signs, like extreme lethargy not related to the heat, just to be sure she won't catch ill as well. I like to put a fan on my bunnies, and giving her a frozen water bottle or cool brick/tile to lay against may help with the heat as well.

hey i've been checking on Eclipse all day and she's been eating, drinking, pooing and peeing as normal. She has been snuggled up with her new cuddly bun 2-3 times and I've given her a few toys including a mineral stone to occupy her.
The frozen water bottle seems like a good idea as we are due for some hot weather over the next few days, do I just pop them in the freezer and just give it to her?
I've also purchased a Ice Pod which you freeze and put in the hutch/run which, they can lie on and it helps to keep them cool but I waiting for it to arrive via post.

Yeh, bottles in the freezer and then given to the bunnies can work really well.

On the thread you just responded to about the icepod, there is a link there about cooling bunnies and that might also give you some good ideas.

I'm glad Eclipse has been doing well :)

hey, just a quick post to say that Eclipse is still doing fine and the bunnies all seemed to enjoy their frozen bottles today. Just a quick question though to settle a discussion, why are vet fees more expensive at night? I could understand them being a bit more, but as animals tend to get ill at any time of day or night at a £95 consultation at night I worry that some people would get put off and then the animal would suffer. I'm just glad I had the funds so I could do everything possible for Truffle.

I'm glad Eclipse is doing well.

I guess they charge more because its out of hours, and yes, that will mean some people choose to wait, but I would guess the vets get paid more for overtime like in other jobs. Obviously they can be on call and such, so they have to get out of bed, and get there, etc, so often its not like they are on the premises (although sometimes they are depending on the policies).

I think it may also be to deter people from calling randomly and unnecessarily.

Hi again just a quick post to say that I have posted a proper introduction in the introduction section of the forum, I have included some more info on my other buns and some lovely pics of them to check out:D

Back