My Rabbit Cage Smells Awful! Please Help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleBlueFins

Reaction score
Hi, everyone!

I've had Finn, a Holland Lop buck, for about three years now, and, for a while, I was surprised by how little he stunk. He didn't stink when we kept him in the living room, or when we moved him outside for a few months, or even when we moved him into my bedroom, despite it being a much more enclosed space than the last two. Things were fine.

But recently- probably only a month or two ago- something changed. His cage reeks of pee now, and that reek fills the whole room, even though I keep the door open nearly 24/7. Though I can hardly stand to be in there during the day, I do have to sleep in there at night, and when I wake up in the morning, my nose burns from the stench. I've gone from cleaning his litter box once or twice a week to once a day, and, even then, the smell returns in only a few hours. Heck, just recently I deep-cleaned my room- wiped off every surface, wiped the walls, scrubbed his cage, and bought him a new litter box- and just 2 days later, it was like nothing had changed. It's insane!

A friend said that the issue might be phermones, since Finn isn't neutered. Do you think he would start spraying so suddenly? I'd really like to save neutering as an absolute last resort, since it's so expensive and isn't garunteed to solvd the problem, but it's definitely something to consider. I've also wondered if it might be his diet, or his scent glands (though, honestly, I only have a faint idea about what those are).

Does anyone know what might have caused this sudden change?

TL;DR: my rabbit's cage smells terrible, and it's driving me nuts! Please share any tips you have for eliminating the smell!

Has there been any female animal in the house that may have been in heat? Neutering may very well help. What state do you live in and which end? I may be able to help find a low-cost spay-neuter clinic near you. What type of litter do you use?

What is his cage setup like. What do you use for bedding if you use any.
What do you use in his litterbox.
Does he ever pee outside the litterbox.
Photos may help.
Yes neutering may help but if he recently started spraying and thats the issue it will likely become an ingrained behaviour now that its been left this long. And as long as he does that and he can still smell it he will likely continue to do it.
So what are you cleaning his cage and litterbox with?

Also, have you changed his type or brand of litter recently? How about any diet changes or increases, particularly increased protein from alfalfa or alfalfa based pellets? Any other changes that have occurred since this started?

Latest posts

Back