My Bunny's Ears are Dying!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the moment she has pellets, rolled oats and gumnuts always available although I'm starting to cut back on the rolled oats. She also gets given mesclun, alfalfa, grass, dandelions and dock a couple of times a day (but only one at a time, not the whole lot together). She also gets things like weetbix and ryvita crackers but not every day and she gets banana as a treat. She is eating really well now but only really likes leafy vegetables, no carrots, broccoli, snow peas, etc.

If one of those two babies is a doe then I will keep her and she can live with Alaska.

I just have to say that I think Alaska is so incredibly lucky to have a caretaker like you :hug:

Well I went to the vet last night with another rabbit (which ended up being nothing serious) and we talked about Alaska - it's going to cost $300!!!!! for the surgery!!!!! And there is no way on earth I can afford that at the moment but the vet said it's not essential so I can wait.

Meanwhile Alaska's back legs seem to be very weak. She is bulking up around her front shoulder/chest area but her hips/back legs are still really thin. She was trying to wash her face today with two paws but she kept losing her balance so had to keep one front paw on the ground. And if she trips over something (like a power cord or something really small) her back end falls over, she gets up real quick but she is obviously losing muscle strength for some reason.

She tries to binky but isn't very good at it because she falls overa bit but if she's trying to binky that means she's happy right? So I'm not being cruel by keeping her alive?

Aliena wrote:
She tries to binky but isn't very good at it because she falls overa bit but if she's trying to binky that means she's happy right? So I'm not being cruel by keeping her alive?
She's keeping herself alive. She sounds like a very happy bunny.I think she's enjoying life, and you're obviously enjoying her being around.You just have to take it one day at a time and consider each one a blessing.

I don't think I'd be spending $300 on surgery until you know EXACTLY what her other problems are. Especially if they're related to the ear thing. Hasshe hadxrays? The vet mentioned apossible heart issue, was that explored further?

Give her a kiss on the sweet little nose for me. :bunnieskiss

sas :hug1

Hi,

Thought I would chime in on this one. First, you mentioned treating anaerobic bacteria. We treat abscesses all the time and they are full of anaerobic bacteria. There are numerous drugs that can be used safely in a rabbit to deal with those type of bugs. A little disclaimer here...I am not suggesting that anyone attempt to use these drugs except under the advice of a real doctor. In treating abscesses we usually use a combination of Procaine (Penicillin G) and Azithromycin (Zithromax). There is another drug that is awesome...but it does carry some serious side effects...not so much for the rabbit, but for the human administering the drug. It's Chloramphenicol. It has been linked to some serious stuff in humans so gloves, long sleeves and a face mask would be in order when giving this drug. These are not drugs to play with. They must be used at the proper time and administered in the proper fashion. Failure to do so usually results in the death of the rabbit. Again, don't play with these drugs.

The stumbling and falling are leading me to believe there is much more to the story that has been detected. I suspect something is going on in the middle and/or inner ear. Lacking evidence of trauma, an ear infection is the most likely cause of this concern. And if only the rear legs are affected, I am very concerned that it might be the first stages of E Cuniculi. With a bun with EC, the immune system is totally overwhelmed in an effort to control the protozoan infection...so much that it allows some of the opportunisitic harmful bacteria to invade and all sorts of unusual things can occur. That is why many people blame head tilt (wry neck) on EC when it is not actually directly caused by the EC. It is also possible that considering the vets think she has a circulatory problem, that she might have suffered the rabbit version of a stroke (they don't have strokes like we think of...they have vascular accidents). If the problem is caused by circulatory issues, you would probably notice a decline in motor skills over time. If it's EC, you would notice neurological issues (like the stumbling) that seem to correct themselves as the immune system mounts a response but then they come back worse and get little better but the overall picture declines.

Just wondering....has a culture or at least a cytology been performed on any debris in those ears? Has a skin scraping anddiag been performed on the problem area? Long term use of antibiotics can lead to a yeast infection...especially in lops. The problem is even worse in Holland Lops due to the small size of the ear canal and that prevents good ventilation which presents a prime breeding ground for problems. And personally, Baytril doesn't do much anymore thru misuse. I will say that if the bacteria is sensitive to Baytril, you are much more likely to get a positive response if Baytril is injected sub-q rather than given by mouth. In some cases, it seems the pH in the gut has had a negative effect on the workings of Baytril. In the extremely rare times I use Baytril...it's injected.

We also see something like this in opossums. It's called Crispy Ear and the ear just erodes away and falls off. Some have tied in to humidity levels but recent research links it to inbreeding. Since we have two unrelated opossums living in the same room...one with CE and the other doesn't have it, I suspect inbreeding is involved. We see some really unusual stuff with inbreeding as I have a prime example of an inbred rabbit here in my rescue.

Needless to say, there seem to be many more questions here than answers. Ask you vet to log on to the internet. There are several networks available to them that link them to other vets all over the world that post abut issues like this and might have encountered this condition.

Randy

Wow, thanks for all that info. My vet has been trying to get info from other people and has contacted the university and said she has also been in touch with some expertin Australia who suggested it could be a whole lot of things but they need to do a biopsy first.

They haven't tested the tissue of her ears yet, that's what the surgery is supposed to be for, they want to doa biopsy and amputate at the same time but she is underweight and might not survive the surgery and I can't afford the $300.

They have looked inside her ears and said there was no sign of infection or mites.

She hasn't been on antibiotics for quite a few weeks now and her ears aren't getting any worse, they have just stayed the same.

Her back legs seem to be thinner than the front which was why I thought it might be that her muscles are being affected, they seem to be weak. Like, I can push her back end and she tries to resist but isn't really strong enough, that's why I thought it was just a weakness but I see what your saying and I will obviously have to talk to the vet about it.

Alaska did exhibit this stumbling type thing way back in the beginning when she was first sick but then it went away so I guess it could be E. Cuniculi then. My biggest trouble is that my money is now practically gone, she's cost me hundreds all ready and I don't want to completely dry up my money because I still have all my other rabbits to take care of (plus I have to feed myself).

Hi Aliena :) How is your Alaska doing? Did you find out anything more from the vet's research about her condition? Wishing you both the best! :purplepansy:

Athy

An update for anyone who is interested:

Alaska is now four months old (who would have thought she'd make it this far!) and is doing well. She is still small (looks about 12 week old size) but has put on a lot of weight. She can't walk properly and scuffs her feet but she seems to have adapted to this and can climb ramps, jump up on boxes, etc. She still pee's everywhere (although slightly better) and does a lot of mushy cecals which I haven't managed to put a stop too.

She is now living with two other does aged nine weeks (I mentioned them awhile back) and the three of them all get on really well. I have moved house and where I live there is what used to be a studio/dark roomseparate to the house which is all fully insulated, etc. and the three girls are living in there with their electric blanket and all their bits and bobs.

Also, her ears have lopped and the tips have fallen off (about 1-1.5cm off each ear) and it looks much better, almost normal if you don't look too closely.

Now I would really like to get her spayed as she seems to have hit puberty but I am not sure how she'd cope with surgery so might just have to leave it.

I'm so glad to hear she is doing well! Way to go Alaska!

As for the spay, consult with the vet, do full bloodwork, and make sure they check her heart and lungs. If everything comes back normal then you could consider it. Although personally I'd be worried that with her ears and her movement problems that something internal might be not quite right also. :?

Last I heard, Alaska is still doing very well. She has remained a tiny bunny, but seems to be happy and healthy. I will let Aliena know you were enquiring about her :).

Latest posts

Back