My bunny has a mystery illness - even the vets can't help!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ivermectin is more for external parasites, like mites. Mabye you could try that new vet, just to see what they say about this situation? If they don't help any more than your current vet, well, no harm done. But mabye they will know more. I hope your bunny guy gets better, it must be awful not to have a reliable vet anywhere near you. :(

Ok, I've been doing some investigating and have come to the conclusion that there are definitely not probiotics in NZ for rabbits (not even Bene-Bac). So, I have been looking at the probiotics available for horses and have found a few that could be suitable but wondered if you guys could maybe checkout their descriptions and tell me what you think.

The first one is on this website http://www.vetpro.co.nz/ It won't do a direct link to the page so you have to click on the products tab and then scroll down to the Equine Athletes section and click on the product name DIGEST-RITE PERFORMANCE.

The other one I found is called Ration Plus http://www.farriersformula.co.nz/rationplus1.shtml

And it seems to be quite highly recommended by a lot of horse people but it doesn't list any of the ingredients.

And then there's this one http://www.nutritech.co.nz/product_wizard/product_wizard_details.aspx?p=15

But they don't give much information about the product at all.

In regards to the vet - I actually work at the SPCA in New Zealand so am going to see if I can have a chat to the vet at work. He says he's not that experienced with rabbits but I'm hoping that I might be able to get all the tests and things done there for cheaper and then take them to another vet. Fingers crossed!

Anyone?

I can't really offer any help here but I hope Kuta gets better. I feel your pain about thevets here most of them are hopless bunny wise, apparently theres a really good exotic/rabbit vet in Christchurch but thats no where near you:(........ Good luck with the equine drug:)

The Ration Plus people responded to my enquiry about their product, they said:

Hi Ellen
Thankyou for your enquiry about Ration Plus. The base of it is Lactobacillus Acidophillus and it contains the usual vits and mins
Cobalt , copper , iron , magnesiuym, manganese , zinc , iodine , selenium ,folic acid , biotin , Vit K , riboflavin ,Niacin , choline chloride , panothenic acid , etc.
I hope this is comprehensive enough for you.
I do have Ration Plus available in a 160 ml size which would be heaps for your rabbit at a cost of $25.90. I imagine you would only need to give the rabbit a couple of drops because a pony only needs 3mls daily.
Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
Cheers
Julie

And the nutritech company sent me the following information on the all-lac paste:

[align=justify]What is All-Lac?[/align]

[align=justify]All-Lac contains a very high concentration of naturally occurring lactic acid producing bacteria. The two species involved, Lactobacillus acidophilus and Streptococcus faecium, have been prepared so as to provide a supplemental source of beneficial intestinal bacteria during stressful periods. The term ‘probiotic’ is often used to describe products such as All-Lac that contain beneficial bacteria. [/align]

[align=justify]When and why should All-Lac be used? [/align]

[align=justify]Newborn foals[/align]
[align=justify]1. Foals are born with an essentailly ‘sterile’ gut. They are immediately exposed to bacteria at birth and go through a series of different gut microbial populations until fully adapted to solid feed. [/align]
[align=justify]Dosing with All-Lac at birth provides billions of beneficial lactic acid bacteria which help to establish the right microbial balance in the gut. [/align]
[align=justify]2. Following Scouring [/align]
[align=justify]Scouring, whatever the cause, has a drastic adverse effect on the microbial population of the digestive tract. Dosing with All-Lac will assist in re-establishing full digestive function. [/align]
[align=justify]3. Following antibiotic therapy [/align]
[align=justify]Drug therapy used to kill or inhibit disease causing or pathogenic bacteria often drastically reduces numbers of beneficial species as well. Supplementing the recovering animal speeds re-establishment of healthy gut metabolism.[/align]
[align=justify]4. Following any major stress [/align]
[align=justify]The adverse effects of a wide variety of stress factors such as injury, transportation, weaning or sudden dietary change may be lessened through dosing with All-Lac.[/align]
[align=justify]All-Lac will help when horses or foals are "off feed". [/align]
[align=justify]How is All-Lac used?[/align]

[align=justify]Dose at or close to birth, but not on an empty stomach, and again 7-10 days later.[/align]
[align=justify]Following antibiotic treatment or digestive disturbances, to aid recovery of normal digestive function, one to four doses may be given at five day intervals. [/align]
[align=justify]Products and Pack Sizes[/align]

[align=justify]All-Lac Water soluble probiotic powder (100g bottle) [/align]
[align=justify]A solution is made using 1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) per 20 ml of tepid water. Following label instructions, an appropriate dose is given to each animal by orally drenching it using any suitable clean drench gun. [/align]
[align=justify]All-Lac probiotic paste (80 ml and 300 ml tubes) [/align]
A fully prepared ready to use oral paste, available in two pack sizes. The 80 ml tube is a self-contained syringe unit; the 300 ml tube requires a specially designed drenching gun which is available for purchase. All-Lac Paste is administered orally between the teeth and the cheek.

Itlooks like the RationPlus is going to be the cheaper option (which shouldn't be a deciding factor but unfortunately is) and it the dosing sounds easier but then All-Lac seems to be more of a probiotic. Not quite sure which to go for...

Latest posts

Back