my bunny doesnt like me :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweet_lil_sarah88

Reaction score
OK, heres the situation....

i just got my bunny (holland lop) 2 days ago and the ppl we got himfrom had like hundreds of rabbits and so i know that my bun probablyhasnt been handled much. everytime i pick him up he squirms and kickshis feet and then everytime i pet him he just runs off like he doesntwant attention. i just want him to sit in my lap and pet him and stuffbut im afraid he wont sit still.....is there anything i can do????please help me....

sarah

Well, you may want to change your expectations.Rabbits tend not to enjoy being held and are not really lap pets. Thislil' guy has been in a completely new environment for only 2 days. Lethim settle in and slowly work up the relationship between you two. Givehim time and you'll be rewarded.

In the meantime, check out http://www.rabbit.org/.

~M

wouldhelp. Be patient...and, therefore, loving andunderstanding? Ever move somewhere where you're completelynew? Nothing familiar, no friends, new house, new foods, newsmells, new sounds? A littlescarey, huh?

Buck

Not only does my bunny hate me, she hates my other bunny. :D Ya learn to live with it. Hehe!

Try feeding him apples...That's what we did withSnuggles he would always run away when he pet him but now he comesright to us..

Jessica

Welcome aboardSweet_lil_Sarah88,

I just wish to reiterate what Buck Jones said. Let the littleone settle in especially since he hasn't been handled and probablycan't figure out why you want to hold or touch him.

Be patient and don't go after him. Sit on the floor and lethim come around you, get to know your smell, learn to trust that you'renot going to pick him up everytime. Perhaps a treat here andthere when he does approach you wouldn't hurt.

Don't overfeed treats because too much sugar isn't good for his system,but keep in mind, that praise works with rabbits aswell. Cooing over him will help. After abit of time, you'll be able to approach him without him running awayonce trust is built.

Keep us posted.

-Carolyn

I have to agree with everyone.

I also wish to add that since you didn't mention the age of yourrabbit, that could contribute. Younger bunnies tend to be moreindependent especially if they have not been handled. Then they get towhat we all call the "teens years" which is actually anywhere from afew hours on an off to a few days or weeks. The hormones change andthey want to be with people one moment and then the next they seem tohate people, it's only normal! Being prey animals, rabbits don't likebeing picked up, most just learn to tolerate it after some time.

I have 2 boys that I've had for over a year, at first neither wantedattention and didn't seem to like me. It took nearly a year to get themto the point they want attention and beg for it. You need to be patientand the day will come when the rabbit wants your attention.

P.S.- Sorry if I repeated what anyone said, I didn't mean to reiterate it. :)

In Iszy's case, she's prolonging teen years as long as possible. :D

Latest posts

Back