My bonded rabbits are fighting - help

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claire7090

Reaction score
Hi - we adopted 2 French lop ears 5 weeks ago, they are sisters and we’ve been told they’ve been neutered (we assume that meant spayed). They have been fine together no issues until yesterday, fighting (tornados, fluff and a cut ear) all day on/off.
We’ve taken them out in the car and tried various rebonding techniques and that seemed to work for an hour but then the fighting started again.
In desperation last night we bought a second hutch and have used a metal fence to divide the garden area they play in. We were too scared to leave them together overnight.
This morning there was brief nose rubbing and then they tried nipping each other through the bars but they are not laying next to each other by the fence and keeping their distance from each other. They both seem very content in their separate hutches today but I’m worried they now have no company.
We can’t take on any more rabbits and what I’m wanting advice on is is it ok for them to live side by side rather than in a shared hutch?
Our plan is to try and rebond them over the next few weeks and let them go in the run together supervised etc but keep them apart at night when we can’t be around.

Did you get paper the girls had been spayed, just to make sure they was really spayed.

How large of space do they have to live on? Sometimes space will have a huge impact if the bunnies can live together and also the chemistry between them.

Did you get paper the girls had been spayed, just to make sure they was really spayed.

How large of space do they have to live on? Sometimes space will have a huge impact if the bunnies can live together and also the chemistry between them.
No we didn’t get any paperwork unfortunately the person we took them was not terribly organised.
They had a good sized hutch and covered run all day and night and the run of half the garden during the day so I don’t believe space is an issue. We gradually introduced the bigger space as before they only had a hutch and run.
We have seen a vet who believed they had been spayed (small scars in the normal area I assume is how they tell!)

It can just be that their personality doesn’t fit each other. Personal chemistry between bunnies is important for a long lasting bond. Maybe the sisters are too much different between each other and will have scuffles.

You can try to bond them again and see but if doesn’t work it will be better to keep them separated.

It can just be that their personality doesn’t fit each other. Personal chemistry between bunnies is important for a long lasting bond. Maybe the sisters are too much different between each other and will have scuffles.

You can try to bond them again and see but if doesn’t work it will be better to keep them separated.
This is how we have it set up now with the two hutches, they have a shared boundary so they can still see each other. Before it was one hutch, a covered run (doesn’t fit in now we’ve separated the garden space) and one fenced area.

Attachments

• 1D02C280-1638-4440-B701-0C4E21C078DC.jpeg
    1D02C280-1638-4440-B701-0C4E21C078DC.jpeg
    359.5 KB · Views: 12
Perhaps try a professional bonder? I would first double check that they are indeed spayed. Ask the previous owner which vet they used and then contact that vet? If that doesn't work, I think they can do an ultrasound or do some hormone treatment to make sure. We really should have a central veterinary database so we can check all procedures and treatments bunnies have had... Find a rabbit vet here: Rabbit Friendly Vet List

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back