My baby charlies really poorly stoped breathing last night

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lurch_1987

Reaction score
AYLESBURY ,Buckinghamshire, , United Kingdom
OMG last night my charlie stopped breathing for no reason, it was so scary i had to recucitate him he just walked into my bed room and colapsed on the floor ! the vet says it probaly happen again i'm so scared ..

has this happened to any one else ??

I have never heard of anything like this. Did he go to the vet today? Has he been sick or is he on any medication? How is his breathing now?

Thats very scary.

hes bein his nomal self now hes breathing ok now , but yesterday he was ok like he is now ! i dont know what to do with him ,

hes sleeping in my room at the moment i've blacked out all the windows in the room so its pitch black and i've been checking on him constantly .

he seems to be ok just chilled out on the bed :)

That is very strange.

Did he see the vet today or did you just speak with the vet? I think I would get him in to have his breathing checked even if its not something you can hear or see.

Hes not on any medicine or anything is he?

yea we went to the vet first thing ,

he listened to his chest and said it was normal and did a load of routine things like looking down his throat and in his eyes and took him for an xray and sumit else ,

the vet said he was fine and let him come home ,

hes been on baytril for ages because of an bactria in his lungs

but the vet said that wouldnt do that to him ,

he said it may of been because of discharge building up in his nose but i cant see that happening because i wipe his nose if he gets a little bit of snot their

That's really scary!

Has the vet ever done blood tests or xrays on Charlie? That might be a good idea, so he can rule out any other problems going on. Is he still on Baytril? If it's not helping much, you could ask the vet about stronger meds such as Zithromax or injected penicillan. Baytril doesn't always work well anymore because there are strains of bacteria that are resistant to it.

I don't see why nasal discharge would make him stop breathing so suddenly like that.

Does your vet treat a lot of rabbits? Maybe you could get a second opinion from a different rabbit-savvy vet?

I hate to say it but i really cant afford the vets.I've becomeill and am permantly signed off sick so i dont get very much money ,wheras when igot them i was ok finacially .the vets that i go to isthe animal charity the PDSA its good the vets are nice to the animals .

they do seem to know what their doing ,

he said that the discharge may of built up in his nasal passages and he may of gone into respatory distress but i really dont think that it was that cuz i wipe his nose as soon as any thing appears there .

he took Charlie into the back and did some tests i know that he did an xray defo , but not sure what else as i was in th waiting room !:(

he seems ok now ,

hes being himself again really naughty and cheeky :D

Yeah, it would be good to know exactly what they did. Hopefully a culture and sensitivity test when he was diagnosed, that zeros in on the right antibiotic. As noted, the Baytril may not be doing the trick.

If he checked his heart and lungs and all was well, that's a relief.

Hopefully it is just a plugged nasal passage father up and when he kicks the infection with the right antibiotic, he'll be fine.

Give him a kiss for me. And a hug for you! That must have been terrifying! :shock: Your kick action maywell have saved his life!

sas :hugsquish:

Back