Mushy Poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kherrmann3

Reaction score
Ugh. It seems that since I have joined this forum, I've had problems with bunnies. Darn you, RO!!! *shakes fist* j/k :p

Anyways, over the last two-three days, I have noticed that some of Toby's poo hasn't been in the normal "cocopuff" design. Some (less than 25% of poo) are quite gooey. They do not look like cecotropes, but they have the same sticky nastiness to them. A few of them will clump together. They are normally within three inches of his floor litter box. I have not changed his diet, he is getting less treats than he was a few weeks ago, he gets some veggies that agree with his tummy daily, and has plenty of water/hay. What could cause this mushy poo? Most of them look like normal pellets, just not hard. He is not sneezing and has no discharge from his eyes/nose.

Will keeps cracking our bedroom window at night and the cold air is mostly settled on the floor. Toby is back in his cage when the window is opened (even if the window is open during the day, he lays next to it). He has a towel in his cage for snugglin'.

Any thoughts?

Sorry to hear this. Well, firstly, what pellets does he eat? Is he a big hay eater and what veggies have you been feeding? High protien can cause mushy poos outside of a stressful environment, like a new habitat. Either could be a contributor.;)

Let us know what's going on and what his diet has been, these can be key players in digestion.;)

Has he eaten anything different?

If Bo gets any extra "goodies" he will sometimes develope bad poos.

For the most part, he's been eating the same things as before.

~ He is getting 1.5 ounces of food per day. His food is a mix of 75% Sunseed's "Vita Rabbit" with 25% Oxbow's "BBT". I am in the process of switching him over to the BBT, but I am doing it slowly. He is at the bottom of the mix of 75/25. He has been eating this mix for awhile now.

~ There are some tiny bits of papaya and banana that are mixed into the food. I just don't give him treats often.

~ He has been eating .5 ounce of romaine lettuce leaves per day (he won't eat the stalk). He never had problems with him eating romaine before.

~ He eats his hay, but not a ton. He never has. He only will eat Oxbow's "Orchard Grass". He doesn't gobble it down, though.

That is all that I can think of for now!

I really don't know except that it could just be the change in itself even if it is for the better.

Have you tried different brands of hay? might be worth it to order small amounts from different sellers until you find one that he really likes. If he ate a lot of hay probably would have large firmer poops.

Orchard grass is good but bunnies need a variety of different grasses and hay to wear their teeth down properly.
Other than that I can't see anything in what you feed him that would cause problems. I would have initially said take out the papaya and banana pieces from the alfalfa brand but since he had been on it anyway and didn't have problems I don't think that's it. :?

Sadly, I've tried other hays. He snubs them. The only time I see him with other hay is if he grabs a bit of it from Berry-Boo's hay storage tub. Even then, he only grabs the piece and runs away with it. He doesn't eat it. Little butt.

Gosh! I would have a time with that myself. My bunners get timothy hay (oxbow and now and then Kaytee) and mixed hay from the barn sometimes (we have a timothy clover mix right now) and oxbow timothy cubes, oxbow bunny basics T, and a variety of little treats every now and then.

Bo can't eat a lot of romaine. He used to eat a ton and then it did the mooshy poo thing to him.

Hrmm... Would 1/2 ounce per day be too much romaine? That's all I give Toby. It's just the dark, leafy part, too. He won't even touch the stem of it.

Just was wondering if he is going through a really bad molting/shedding time. Usually causes smaller, harder poos, but every-bun is different. Maybe a little bene-bac could straighten his little tummy out.

myheart

You know, I used the process of elimination to find out what was making his poos soft. Eventually I found romaine (more than just a part of a leaf) and too much banana in one week would do it.

I've found that giving Bo (and the others) their basic feed, hay and water.... thenI juggle different greens and treats throughout the week..... they all stay pretty good.

Give Bo more than 2 craisins in one day - mooshy poos.....

Latest posts

Back