Mucous instead of poo

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MPHF

Reaction score

I'm really worried about my bunny Floppy. I noticed last night that she did this weird jelly like poo with brown and white bits in. She went to the vet first thing this morning and they said it's worms. Floppy is 4 years old and i've only had her for a couple of weeks from the RSPCA. I have three other rabbits who are now being treated for worms as well. Floppy is usually fed Supa Rabbit Excel pellets but now all she is having is hay with some critical care now and again. She was overweight but now she is the right weight for her breed. I'M REALLY CONFUSED :huh

All my other bunnies are ok but i'm really worried .
Has anyone ever had this problem before? :imsick:

Hi MPHF, our Buttercup had that problem around Xmas time for quite a while. We ended up taking him to 2 different Vets. He was tested for paracites which came back negative. He did not have worms at this time either.

The Vet put him on an Antibiotic Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim 40&8 MG/ML twice a day. The mucous went away for a few months but then came back so he is on the antibiotics again. He was also on a probiotic at the time.

Unfortunatey they really didn't know what caused it.

Susan:)

Mucous in the poo can mean worms, but it can also mean a bacterial infection of the intestines. Definitely use a deworming medication if the vet says it's worms. Did they prescribe her one? I'd keep her away from your other bunnies until she's better. If the medication doesn't clear it up, look into possible enteritis (intestinal bacteria infection. There should be articles both on worms and on enteritis in our Library section under Health.

Beau has also recentlyhad occasional gel like poops with bits of brown in it. I have no idea why?

It usually occurs if the gut has not been moving well and you would see it often when a bun is coming out of stasis.
Iknow that he doesn't have worms because he has been here 5 yrs and this just started occuring ...he is on antibioitcs, has had a lot of infection in his mouth and this occured also before the dental surgery

I do have him on bene-bac
MPHF if you believe that your vet is rabbit knowledgeable then your bun probably has worms. he must have been able to see them with the naked eye. usually the fecal would be tested for all parasites.
i have a bun who passed a tapeworm after his neuter about 3 yrs ago..I had just adopted him from the shelter where he had been brought in as a stray. It was gross. he was treated twice with Droncit and was fine after that.
I will try to find info on parasites in the library and post link.
I think what you're concerned about is whether rabbits canhave worms.yes they can!

but in general it is easy to treat and if you do that there is nothing to worry about.

Susan,
I have been so concerned about beau's other issues that I just didnot get concerned bout the gelpoops. he's not having them today ????

I'm as confused as you

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Nematodes.PDF

I took Floppy to the vet today and i saw the Rabbit savvy vet. He said because of her bad diet from her previous home, her gut wasn't used to eating hay soits producing excess mucous. All she needs is to be forced to eat hay and some Fibreplex instead of critical care. She needs to go back to the vet in 7-10 days to see how shes going.

I'm really pleased that it's nothing more serious :biggrin2:

Thanks for all your help :D

:party::apollo:

She is doing ok. She has 4 different types of hay but she is still reluctant to eat it though. She only eats it if i put it in her bowl or show her where it is! She hasa few pellets in her bowl with the hay on top but she turns thebowl upside down!!:biggrin2:

Thanks for asking :happyrabbit:

Hee hee! Sounds like she's got her sassy attitude back! My bunny Tony used to tip over his dish because I'd feed him those pellets with the goodies in them (of course I don't anymore! I didn't know they were bad at first) and he just wanted to pick the treats out! Continued good vibes to Floppy!

You should try feeding Oat hay and other kinds as well, I think it would be great for her tummy!:) I understand they may be partial to one kind of hay, but, try to slowly sneek a different kind in. Haha.:p

Oat is very grainy, but so good for them. Bermuda and all that is good for them too and Randy said that all the differentgrass wears differently on their teeth. So, feeding different hays are a good thing!;)

Latest posts

Back