Mucous in Stool

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Susan, do you have Nutri-cal? It has B vitamins in it, and also vitamin E which can help with irritated intestines. Instead of yogurt a better probiotic would be Benebac, which you can get at vet offices or feed stores, or in smaller packages at pet stores.

:hug:

You can get Nutri-Cal at pet stores, in the cat and dog areas.

Since we don't really know what he has, it's hard to know if it's contagious. Since he's had it for a while now and the others are fine, it should be ok. But do wash your hands before going to the other bunnies, just in case.

This isthe same thingour Chippy had problems with, too.:(

Here's the link to the thread if anyone is interested:
http://rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=25794&forum_id=16

A while back, Chippy had a terrible bout with passing mucous.
The lab test came back finding Clostridium.

The vet prescribed :
Metronidazole (antibiotic)
Benebac (probiotic)
Liquids (she got sub-q at the vet during her all-day stay)
Critical Care
Lots of timothy hay -
threw out what I had and bought new!
pellets -
threw out what I had and bought new!
limited treats (she only gets rolled oat, sunflower seeds and dried papaya -bought all new!)

I also gave hersome dandelion greens, but just a few at a time a couple of times a day.

It several days to get things under control and eliminate the Clostridium.

The sub-q at the vet was key. She came home in much better shape and was eating and drinking on her own in short time.

It's still an ongoing issue, and she needs constant diet maintenance and probioticsupplement.

Keeping yous in our thoughts and prayers :pray:

~Jim

PS!!
Randy walked me through bringing Chippy back from as close to the brink as I ever want to see one of my bunnies get again !!
;)

SOOOSKA wrote:
And also what Buttercup has can it be passed onto the other bunnies?

I was very careful about keeping Chippy separated from the other buns....and still are to a point.

While she was at the vet I completely broke down and disinfected her pen. cage, andflooring.

Iwash my hands before and after having any contact with her orher things.

Everything for Chippy is done separately and after the other buns....making sure not to contaminate things like work surfaces, bowls, bottles, scoops & utensils, etc.

I probably go a bit further than necessary, but that's me.... Mr. OCD :biggrin2:

Hi Jim, thanks for asking.

He still had mucous yesterday afternoon and last evening. However this morning his poos were normal. He's eating really good and is very playful. Here's hoping that that is a good sign.

Susan:)

Im so glad to hear our sweet boy is ok. Ive been really worried about him.

Im sure you and Chris are giving him lots of love and affection right now. Is he acting ok besides the poops?

Hi, I just heard from the Vet we took Buttercup to before Xmas. She said he has a large amount of E-coli in the sample we took in to be tested. She said that she is going to order Banana flavoured Batril. Does this sound right?

Thanks

Susan:?

SOOOSKA wrote:
Hi, I just heard from the Vet we took Buttercup to before Xmas. She said he has a large amount of E-coli in the sample we took in to be tested. She said that she is going to order Banana flavoured Batril. Does this sound right?

Thanks

Hi Susan,

I'm not sure, but I think the lab resultsguide the vet in what antibiotic to use.
The one prescribed to Chippy targeted the specific strain of bacteria in her system, whereas others may have not been as effective.
Randy might have better knowledge on this.

Susan, how is our boy doing? Ive been thinking of him.

Ive been away this week but I tried searching briefly before I left and I couldnt find much on e coli treatment for bunnies. I hope the baytril is working!

Haley

Hi Haley, thanks for asking.

Buttercup is looking better but he is still having the mucous in his stools. The poos during the day are normal but it's in the late afternoon and night that he has the mucous. He also seems to"leak" clear fluid at night. His appetite is really good.

He's been on the antibiotic (Baytril)since December 27th. The Vet ordered it for 10 days.

Maybe someone on here has some more suggestions for us.

Thanks

Latest posts

Back