Mr. Bun Bun - Not Doing Well!!!!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
I recently noticed that my 8 year old, male, un-neutered, who lives indoors, Holland Lop mix, Mr. Bun Bun, has been not doing very well lately. I am screwed because I am in no condition to take him to a vet and my parents are having low paychecks right now. We are already having financial issues right now, so all I can do is rely on advice!

*Some additional info on him* - I recently got him a new friend, a baby dutch bunny, after his buddy died almost 2 years ago. He was very depressed and sluggish after Koga(former buddy) died. Once I got him a new friend he was much more livelier. They get along, but the baby attacks Bun Bun(he usually does it when cornered or "self-defense" when trying to be mounted, and alot of times when he just has a binkie session) and has left tiny bald spots on his head from the nipping. I'm just lucky Bun Bun is so good around baby buns(except for the mounting)! But the rabbits are not going to play together until the new bunny gets a little older and less hyper.

Mr. Bun Bun today has been acting very sluggish, all he did today was just lay around. I noticed that he only lays down in a position where his head is always on the ground. Of course this is a way that bunnies will lay in, but because it was always the position he was in, I am concerned.

I don't have a picture of him right now, and he's in his cage. I really don't want to drag him out right now. All I could do is draw an image on paint, so if yall have a hard time understanding his position.

Sorry about the quality.
2a7ihbq.jpg

He's not alert. He would only get up if I rattled the treat bag.

Some very strange behavior today too. I had him on my bed and I petted him while watching TV. He just laid there and let me pet and massage him and he even fell asleep! Bun Bun has always been a "tolerant" bunny. He always liked doing things his way. He has never laid down beside me and allowed me to pet him for an hour like he did today.

I've seen Bun Bun jump off of beds/couches and unlike when he was younger, he doesn't land on his feet anymore, instead it's more off balance, and he kinda strides. This type of behavior started after his former buddy, Koga, died.

But today, when he jumped off my bed, was just horrible! When he landed, it was like someone dropped him. He flipped around. I bet that really hurt!
He also tripped when he hopped back into his cage. He hops around on the floor fine though.

It was a nice, yet very windy, day today in VA, so I let Bun Bun play out side - guess what? He did nothing. He hopped up to the flower garden and instantly laid down in that position of his.

What do you think is wrong with Mr. Bun? Could it have to do some thing with his age? He'll be 9 in May. Is 8 really old? Can rabbits die from "old age" at 8-9 years?

Thanks a bunch for any replies! Sorry this is such a long post!

Regards,

SablePoint

How is his water/food intake?

Poops look normal and still doing them in the same frequency?

:pray:

I think that would be described as lethargy or decreased activity, and should not be ignored. I know he is a bit old, but a sudden change in behavior like this can be a symptom of something serious. I would check input/output, look at front teeth and feel along the jawline for strange bumps, look in the ears, feel the belly for gas, and do any at-home checks you can. IF these do not help you determine what is wrong, a vet visit is needed.

Latest posts

Back