Mr. Bun Bun is showing some weird signs of something....

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SablePoint

Reaction score
WARNING: VERY LONG POST

Hey, it's Coniglio. Sorry I haven't been here in a while. My orignal email has an issue, and I can't use it, so I couldn't get a password recovery here, so I made a new account.

Anyways, as some may know, Koga, a minirex rabbit I used to own, died last year due to a sudden seizure. The cause of the sudden seizure is still unknown.

Anyways, after he died, Mr. Bun Bun, my 8-year-old Holland Lop mix, had quickly started showing weird sign - probably after Koga died(his cage is right near his, so poor Bun saw the whole thing!).

He no longer humps his stuffed animal. He's not interrested in much. He's no where near as active as he used to be, even when outside. He may hop around some, outdoors, but eventually takes a nap or just lays down and rest.

Another horrible issue I've been dealing with is this weird type of shedding. I know that rabbits shed throughout the year and have a winter and summer coat shedding - but Bun's shedding is nothing normal at all! He sheds TONS of hair a day to the point I almost want to shave him. He makes a mess in his cage and leaves a trail of fur when he hops around. Every time you pet him, hair goes flying all over ther place!
Even when outside, you can see some rabbit fur fly off of him with every hop!
Every time we go outside for a brushing, I get atleast 3-5 comb fulls of hair!

This is dangerous. He could get a hair ball! Thankfully his poop looks fine and I haven't heard any coughing.

I also have another question. For several months, Bun Bun has these occassional light sneezing episodes that sounds like a light "tiff tiff." It can't be the sniffles or snuffles or respitory infection, cause he has no mucus. I don't think it's an allergic reaction cause I know what's he allergic too and I have none of it in my home.
I think it could be caused by getting things caught in his nose. Could be the fur? Rabbits are really far sighted, which causes them to have poor eye sight at upclose objects - they are really dependant on their noses!

But, I asked my vet about his sneezing and he said it could be dust, but it's not dusty here. I asked him about cigarrette smoke and he said it's not.
But for some reason I think it could be. My room isn't "clouded with smoke" it doesn't smell or yellowed, I only smoke at night, 1 cig per hour.
Mr. Bun Bun's cage is right beside my bed. I have a mat on his cage to put things on his cage while lounging in my bed, like my drink and ashtray. I pretty much use the top of his cage as a little table. When I smoke on my bed, the ash tray lays on my lap and I blow smoke in a different direction so it doesn't get around Bun.
I still think it could be cig smoke smoke some how. I no longer smoke in my room anymore.

For extra info, Bun has a tiny kind of cyst on his stomatch. He has had it for a few years and it hasn't grown and seems to not bother him. The removal of the obstrustion is nearly $500 - unless I get lucky this time and get my disability check - then Mr. Bun Bun can forget about that surgery. $500 is WAY too much. Not sure how long Bun is going to live. He's pretty old.

Sorry for the very long post. But I need yall's opinion on his issues.

I'm sure Koga's death is related to his lack of activity and no interrest - could it be old age?

Thanks again for any answers!

Regards,

SablePoint

bun13.jpg

SablePoint wrot

Another horrible issue I've been dealing with is this weird type of shedding. I know that rabbits shed throughout the year and have a winter and summer coat shedding - but Bun's shedding is nothing normal at all! He sheds TONS of hair a day to the point I almost want to shave him. He makes a mess in his cage and leaves a trail of fur when he hops around. Every time you pet him, hair goes flying all over ther place!
Even when outside, you can see some rabbit fur fly off of him with every hop!
Every time we go outside for a brushing, I get atleast 3-5 comb fulls of hair!

This is dangerous. He could get a hair ball! Thankfully his poop looks fine and I haven't heard any coughing.

I also have another question. For several months, Bun Bun has these occassional light sneezing episodes that sounds like a light "tiff tiff." It can't be the sniffles or snuffles or respitory infection, cause he has no mucus. I don't think it's an allergic reaction cause I know what's he allergic too and I have none of it in my home.
I think it could be caused by getting things caught in his nose. Could be the fur? Rabbits are really far sighted, which causes them to have poor eye sight at upclose objects - they are really dependant on their noses!

But, I asked my vet about his sneezing and he said it could be dust, but it's not dusty here. I asked him about cigarrette smoke and he said it's not.
But for some reason I think it could be. My room isn't "clouded with smoke" it doesn't smell or yellowed, I only smoke at night, 1 cig per hour.
Mr. Bun Bun's cage is right beside my bed. I have a mat on his cage to put things on his cage while lounging in my bed, like my drink and ashtray. I pretty much use the top of his cage as a little table. When I smoke on my bed, the ash tray lays on my lap and I blow smoke in a different direction so it doesn't get around Bun.
I still think it could be cig smoke smoke some how. I no longer smoke in my room anymore.
Any kind of "new" or different" respiratory sound is in my opinion significant. It doesn't necessarily indicate that there is a serious issue at the present but that possibly something is beginning. It is something that you should monitor closely.
It is difficult for me not to think that cigarette smoke would be troublesome for a bun's delicate system.I wouldn't smoke round him.
The loss of his buddy could cause a signifcant decrease in his immune function. The shedding sounds like something that you have not encountered before. Are their bald spots of any kind or fur patches that look 'dusty" ?

Has the mass been biopsied ? What is it? if it has remained unchanged for years it probably is benign.
I'm sure your bun is depressed by Koga's death; would you ever consider a mate?

bun13.jpg

I agree, I have a hard time imagining cigarette smoke not impacting a rabbits respiratory system. If I were you I would not smoke in the rabbits presence, they are pretty delicate animals.

Also, considering your rabbit is eight years old I think the slowing down may just be him aging. That isn't to say that something unrelated could be up, but I think all rabbits slow down as they get older, its pretty natural. I think its a good sign if he is still eating well and pooping normally.

I have no clue what to say about the hair, that sounds really excessive. Perhaps its something in his diet?

I try to stay off of soap boxes and keep my sermons to a minimum. Smoking is not good for you, nor can it be good for an animal with a much shorter life and more sensitive system. All of our bunnies shed, some enough to stuff a mattress with--sound like you may want to start doing daily grooming to control it. Lastly, age is definitely a factor in his slowing down. In the last couple of years we've had to say goodbye to some of our older buns--10 plus years. They started sleeping much more, were less active, and slowed down in their eating and all other activities. Unfortunately it's all a part of this mortal coil.

Thanks for the replies guys!

I really wish I could get Bun a mate and I've asked my parents before and they won't let me. They just don't understand.

There are no bald spots on him.

His tumor/cyst has not been biospised(I don't know what that means), just felt by the vet.

He poops and eats fine. I have noticed a slight increase of his food intake.

I've wondered about the diet change aswell.
His food was changed when Koga died. Koga was a picky eater and would only eat Nutriphase and Kaytee rabbit pellets.
Those 2 types of food were really expensive compared to Hartz pellets at Walmart(were we pick up our pet food). Unlike Koga, Mr. Bun Bun is not picky and will eat almost anything.

Before I got Koga, Mr. Bun Bun was fed on Hartz. I had to change foods cause Koga would rather eat his own litter before Hartz food.

Another question, I use a vaporizer which is pretty much the same thing as a humidifier - but do you think I can use the inhalent that goes to the vaporizer? I think it's Vicks vapor(as the vaporizer is by Vicks).
I rub Vicks rub "cream" on my pets' chest and on top of their snouts to help them if they get a stuffy nose. Doesn't leave some type of "problem" on them.
What's your opinion on the inhalent?

Regards,

Coniglio

SablePoint wrote:
His tumor/cyst has not been biospised(I don't know what that means), just felt by the vet.
A biopsy (taking sample from tumor using a needle) would indicate whether the mass was malgnant meaning cancerous
If it has remained the same size and shape for years it most likely is a benign ( non-cancerous ) lump bit if it has change it should be biopsied

I've wondered about the diet change aswell.
His food was changed when Koga died. Koga was a picky eater and would only eat Nutriphase and Kaytee rabbit pellets.
Those 2 types of food were really expensive compared to Hartz pellets at Walmart(were we pick up our pet food). Unlike Koga, Mr. Bun Bun is not picky and will eat almost anything.

Walmart pellets are really not a nutritious pellet;I would slowly change him back to a more nutritious pellet. An aging bun needs a better pellet.

Another question, I use a vaporizer which is pretty much the same thing as a humidifier - but do you think I can use the inhalent that goes to the vaporizer? I think it's Vicks vapor(as the vaporizer is by Vicks).
I rub Vicks rub "cream" on my pets' chest and on top of their snouts to help them if they get a stuffy nose. Doesn't leave some type of "problem" on them.
What's your opinion on the inhalent?
I would not self medicate a rabbit with over the counter inhalants and NENER place the cream/ ointment on the rabbit's nose or chest. There is one mod on the forum who I believed successfully used an over the counter product in a vaporizer, however, I just cannot recall what it was. Maybe someone else here can remember. That rabbit had a severe respiratory infection.
if you are going to do anything on your own use a cool mister. I learned from Randy (ra7751)
that warm air is heavy but that cool air is way easier for the bun to breathe in ; I have bought and used a cool mister on a rabbit with a respiratory infection.
in terms of actually nebulizing a rabbitI can provide some links . If your rabbits breathing is causing you to use humidifiers etcI believe that the bun should see a vet.
Proper nebulizing requires prescribed medication
here are some links

Thanks. Bun Bun has no problem breathing from what I hear. Even the vet said his respitory system sounds fine. I was just thinking maybe the vaporizer might feel good to his lungs or nose if it's irritated by something.

The only thing I have heard of used in a vaporizer successfully for a bunny was N-acetylcystine, aka Mucomyst. It makes the mucus less thick, but I do not think it is over-the-counter.

Latest posts

Back