Moving to another state with multiple animals

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IBPM77

Reaction score
Hi,
I am about to move to Oregon in a week or so. On top of that we just rescued an abandoned dog. Because we are moving so soon, we haven't had the time to allow the animals to get used to each other and the dog gets really excited when he sees the rabbit scaring him.. We will be moving in a single car and I am wondering how I can transport the bunny and the dog without scaring my bun to death and not have the dog going crazy over the rabbit for 9 hours?

Do you have room for 2 kennels? You can keep new rescue doggie occupied with a Kong filled with treats so he is not fixated on the bunners. I am sure bunners will do fine as long as the dog is not obsessing over him. You also might consider some excercises durring the next 2 weeks to desensatise the new dog with the bunners. Teach him "Leave It" Reward rescue doggie with treats when he is not around bunny. Make sure you make plenty of stops to let the dog out of the car so anxiety does not set in to make the situation more tolerable for him. Bring a ball and let him play ball durring your stops. TIRE HIM OUT! lol He will sleep more.

Good luck!

Definetly have the rabbit in a carrier. If you can, put the rabbit in the front seat so that it is away from the dog. I would also put the dog in a carrier if you can. If they have to both be in the back seat, then put something between them so they can't see each other, this could be a blanket or just some other luggage stuff.

Before you leave, take the dog for a good walk that is mentally and physically stimulating. This will tire him out faster. Do some running, jogging, weaving around things and go over benches and stuff. It would be a good idea to do this the night before you leave as well.
Stop about every 2 hours during the drive to get the dog out for a bit. Go for a little walk and let him pee/poop if needed.

You have a week to work with the dog so that he is good with your rabbit. He doesn't need to be really friendly, just to ignore the rabbit. Have the rabbit in the cage or a secure pen. Keep the dog on a short leash for safety. If the dog goes toward to pen in a way that is anything other than just being curious, correct him and tell him No and Leave It. It should not take too long for him to understand to leave the rabbit alone. Just this can make the trip a lot less stressful for both you and the rabbit.

Latest posts

Back