Mourning?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

queenadreena

Reaction score
Two weeks ago my beloved cat of 18 years passed away in the morning. Ever since then, one of my rabbits MaiMai has been acting very lethargic. She's eating and drinking, and appears to be fine, but she refuses to play. When I get her out, all she'll do is go in the corner and lay down for hours (she's usually very lively/honking/binkying/etc)

Do you think she is going through some sort of mourning period? She used to sit nearby my cat and give her kisses (and also try to hump her :p)
Has anyone else ever experienced this sort of 'sad' behaviour in their rabbits?

I'm so sorry for your loss :(

I think rabbits can grieve. I had a doe who lost her only baby and was very depressed for a few days. Recently Sweep lost his bonded brother of 8 and a half years and he was very sad, he used to sit and waitfor Sunshine to come back.

The best thing you can probably do is to give her lots and lots of love and attention. She'll come round soon, I'm sure.

It might also be worth getting her checked at the vets incase it is a co-incidence and there is something wrong with her.

I'm sort of worrying more now, because she keeps sitting down. She's been out 2 1/2 hours today and hasn't played at all and is acting very tired, as opposed to just being a little depressed.

Is perpetual laying down a sign of stomach pain? She's only 18 months.

Best to get her to the vet. Yup, that could be a sign of stomach troubles, maybe someone might move this to the infirmary for you.

Is she pooping? Peeing? (You said she's eating and drinking...)

Based on behavior, I'd get her checked by your vet, especially if it's been going on for 2 weeks and may be getting worse. She could be going into a stasis from the stress of losing her friend. (ie: change in environment).

Today she hasn't eaten or drank at all, but she is pooing and weeing okay. She's definitely not right today. Although the 'mourning' behaiiour has been on and off it only ever lasts a few hours a day.

If she's not fine by the morning, I'll pop her into the vet.

Not eating is a pretty serious sign in rabbits, I would get her to the vet asap. It's good she's still pooping, I'd empty her tray so you can monitor that she's continuing to do that more easily.

Tam

It's too late to get to any vet right now, and I don't have the money to call out an emergency vet. I'm taking her down at 9:00am in the morning tomorrow, and I'm keeping a very close eye on her, as I know bunnies can go downhill very quickly.

I really hope she's okay overnight, I'm going out of my mind with worry.:(

Any news?

Did you try syringe feeding her?

I got her out at 5;00am this morning, and there was a significant improval in her behaviour, and fresh poo's in her hutch. She's more active than yesterday, but still laying down. I'm keeping a close eye on her, but she only seems to eat if i hand feed her, and will only drink if i hold the bowl for her.

I don't mind doing this at all until she's fully back to her normal self, but I can't figure out why she'll only feed if I give it to her.
Is she just being a big baby? Any ideas?

I do have a syringe handy if she stops eating/drinking again.

Are you still going to take her to the vet?

I'm not sure what to suggest about her feeding, but is it possible that she has tooth problems and having the food at a different angle is easier for her?

She seems to be picking up, but if she goes back to how she was yesterday, i'll take her down.

I've checked her teeth, they seem to be fine, but i'm not letting her out of my sight at the moment, and keeping her warm, encouraging her to eat/drink and play.

I've been looking at the thread on GI stasis, and thought that it might be possible that she has gas. :?

You can't check the molars from just looking, that needs special tools.

It's good you are reading about stasis, Ihope it's useful :)

Latest posts

Back